TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Browser function disabled after firmware update (Hong Kong)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brown-eye, Sep 7, 2014.

1. brown-eye

brown-eye Member

Today is Sunday 7th September, my Tesla asked would I like to update my firmware. Well I thought something good is about to happen. Boy, I was so wrong the icon on my 17inch has disappeared. WTF!!! Hong Kong transport department was upset about the Browser.
    Is there anyway I can get the browser back ? Mods, Hacks.

I got my Model S for two days before this happened.:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Attached Files:

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Ouch!

The nanny state has set a new bar.

3. GreenT

GreenT Member

#3 GreenT, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Perhaps this is because you can ferry or drive to "sensitive" areas ... like Shenzhen which you can reach via Rte 10.

I thought my SC once told me you could roll back to previous firmware?

4. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

What version do you have (press the Tesla logo at the top to get an about screen that will show)? I wonder if this solves the mystery of why 5.14 has been released.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Sounds like your issue is with the government of China, not Tesla.

6. karmamule

karmamule Member

There was quite a bit of discussion about no web browsing for HK in a thread back in May. Maybe there's some helpful info there for you:

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

Good luck, I hope whatever regulatory agency demanded this changes their mind!

7. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#7 ToddRLockwood, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Does it come back when you shift into Park? Is this a safety issue or an access-to-web issue? Can you browse from a smartphone in HK?

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I often wondered if Tesla wouldn't eventually slip this into a North American firmware update too in the name of "safety".

They've already proven their willingness to bow to pressure.

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Test driving here in Norway I was told excplicitly there would be no browser while moving in the EU cars due to it being illegal but we can browse and drive as mich as we like now 1 year after delivery and many thousand cars sold in just Norway...

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

And Ill bet not one accident attributable to browsing while driving...

11. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

He has issues with the Government of Hong Kong, not China. They have no provision in legislation to allow it, and since the Fun Police run the place, it's gone. The ironic thing is no one does anything about the taxi drivers with 8 smart phones across the top of the dash allowing them to run their other businesses.

12. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Entirely unfair and inaccurate comment. You need only remember the many dealership issues, Broder, Les Fires etc...

13. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

#13 ACDriveMotor, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    It is not bowing to pressure when you are following the law or a lawful request from a governmental agency. Failing to do so could cost TM the ability to sell in a region.

14. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

From the Hong Kong specific thread:

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

CAP 374A regulation 37

Cap 374A reg 37 Visual display units (Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)

Note that there is nothing wrong with the browser per-se, it is more related to the content that the browser can display (not about the vehicle, not navigation, and stored images). For me, I want to be able to access web apps (which don't violate the above legislation), but the result now is that everything is banned.

This does bring up the larger (global) issue of whether web browsers are a distraction that will decrease the safety of the vehicle. I'm not in favour of nanny-systems, in general, but that is a hell of a 17" distraction. A global solution is to allow the user to control this, subject to country-level restrictions. We do this every day with content-filtering systems in offices and homes (for parental control).

One suggestion I made was for the system to maintain a list of websites (just the main URL of the page, not sub-items brought in), and to allow the _user_ to tag those websites as:

• unrestricted - can always be accessed
    • restricted - can only be accessed when vehicle is in park
    • blocked - can never be accessed

Again, the _user_ could set his browser to be either restricted or unrestricted, and that can even be enforced on a country level if necessary (depends on Tesla's legal team interpretation).

15. brown-eye

brown-eye Member

Browser deleted with no notification from Tesla

At least Tesla should have told us the Browser was going to be removed.
    There much be a way I can enable my browser.Does anyone have a access code for the hidden menu ?

16. brown-eye

brown-eye Member

Browser gone forever.

I heard Tesla gave a demo car the the government. They found about the browser and put pressure on Tesla.
    The Browser is now no existing.
    Has anyone got a password for the hidden menu ? I bet it can be turned on again.

17. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I hate to ressurrect a dead issue (and may it rest in peace from here on) but the Air Suspension change of last Autumn still rankles. Bad press does not excuse the removal of an existing feature without any evidence supporting the need to do so. If this was not "bowing to pressure", I don't know what it was.

18. brown-eye

brown-eye Member

Browser delete Version update

My Latest Version V5.12(1.6.4.41)

- - - Updated - - -

It's completely disappeared. Tesla never returned my emails.

- - - Updated - - -

Lerxt, I can agree more with you. 10 out of 10 minivans have a dvd head units. The dealer would even throw it in as a gift. But Tesla can just send over an update and block whatever they want requested by the government. What's next for HK. Block facebook and youtube ???

- - - Updated - - -

It's completely gone. Never know, the government might block out facebook !!

- - - Updated - - -

It's completely gone. Never know, the government might block out facebook !!

- - - Updated - - -

I miss my browser !!

browser6_193239.jpg

19. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I wouldn't consider conforming to local laws to be "bowing to pressure." Like any other car manufacturer, Tesla has to follow a country's rules. They certainly could assist local owners with getting the rule changed, but this is probably the result of a similar ban on smartphone web browsing.

20. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

This seems pretty clear to me as well. I'm fine with criticism when warranted (like the air suspension debacle noted above), but here the feature clearly violates HK law. It can't even be due to a mistranslation, the .gov.hk link presents the statute in English.

Perhaps you can fault Tesla for not lobbying for a change to the law, but you certainly can't fault them for limiting risk by removing the feature immediately. Leaving it in could open them up to fines, lawsuits, and maybe a sales ban.