Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser function disabled after firmware update (Hong Kong)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems pretty clear to me as well. I'm fine with criticism when warranted (like the air suspension debacle noted above), but here the feature clearly violates HK law. It can't even be due to a mistranslation, the .gov.hk link presents the statute in English.

Perhaps you can fault Tesla for not lobbying for a change to the law, but you certainly can't fault them for limiting risk by removing the feature immediately. Leaving it in could open them up to fines, lawsuits, and maybe a sales ban.

It appears all I've done is illustrate my ignorance of HK law. I was under the impression that this was a "preventative" measure on Tesla's part. Didn't know that they were conforming to an already existing law.

Of course, I'd like to see them lobby for a change to this restrictive law, but they've got enough on their plate at the moment (NADA challenges, Gigafactory construction, etc).

Responding to this kind of stuff from various countries is where the development cycles are going versus adding basics like shuffle for USB music. Just sad.

Consequences of branching out into different markets, I afraid.

Sometimes I ask myself if Tesla expanded too fast. IMO, they would have been better to stay in one market (North America) for a few years and fix all the little niggles the car is missing (ie: USB Shuffle, CHAdeMO adapters, valet mode) before dividing up their resources. Model S is a phenomenal car, but it does still feel incomplete in some ways. Would Tesla have went under if they didn't expand ASAP? It seems like lots of low volume automakers do okay only operating in a few markets.

Here's a letter from Tesla ! This came a bit late.

teslaletter.jpg