Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still new to the car (2 weeks). Is it normal for the browser simply not to work for periods of time? It seems like more often than not when I click on the icon I get the bar showing it is thinking but the browser never opens. Is this normal?

I understand but can list a few potential reasons:
- the system keeps all the power for the essential things you talked about, limiting the performance of things like the browser
- It runs on an Intel Atom which is a low power chip
- A web browser is a surprisingly complex piece of software that is in constant change. The software team at Tesla don't see the browser as a priority so it doesn't get enough attention to be optimized.

The good news is that new cars come with an AMD Ryzen chip which is much faster. The browser probably runs better on those.

Modern browsers and websites can actually be pretty taxing... so a device that runs the UI smoothly could still be underpowered for browsing the web.

That said, it does work. I second the suggestion that it's probably trying to open the last visited page and failing. Try the reboot.

Reactions: GtiMart
I understand but can list a few potential reasons:
- the system keeps all the power for the essential things you talked about, limiting the performance of things like the browser
- It runs on an Intel Atom which is a low power chip
- A web browser is a surprisingly complex piece of software that is in constant change. The software team at Tesla don't see the browser as a priority so it doesn't get enough attention to be optimized.

The good news is that new cars come with an AMD Ryzen chip which is much faster. The browser probably runs better on those.

Unfortunately I have the Ryzen...:(