Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser no longer works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
So a lot of people have been talking about the Tesla Waze via browser not working well lately. Well, it's true, it doesn't. While playing around however, I noticed that the other sites are not loading well either. I have a personal server with a default IIS web page for example, and a lot of times it just won't load. I can load it on the phone, or from any PC, even VPN'ing through other states and countries, however my Model S browser will not load it most of the time (sometimes it does), not even when connected to a WiFi which had a gateway on the same public subnet as the the server in question (so should be all local traffic with 1Gbps available bandwidth). I am noticing that the title of the page appears to load (or maybe it's cached) but the page itself is not rendering at all (previous page keeps on showing on the screen). Surprisingly I can load google search any time, but not tesla waze or other non-mainstream sites. I haven't gone so far as to start sniffing traffic, but maybe Tesla is routing all the browser traffic via VPN and for some reason is running out of bandwidth on their end with the doubling of their fleet size with Model 3's?

My browser started acting up when TeslaWaze changed maps, but then I noticed other sites were having similar issues loading. Since version 9, I can't get anything to load on the browser and have just given up trying to use it. MCU1 2016 Refresh AP1.

My browser on MCU1 v9 39.6 stopped working completely a few days ago. Rebooting doesn't help. It doesn't work at all, not even going to google, not even on WiFi. :mad: I haven't checked on my wife's MCU2 yet but I do know that the browser seems to go though the VPN on old MCU but direct to internet on MCU2, so they do work differently.

I guess welcome to having an older hardware car with over-the-air capabilities. The new software can always screw up your existing features. "You car is always getting better" is a nice marketing slogan.

My browser wasn't working for the last few days, but it randomly started working again this morning. No MCU reboots as far as I know. I don't use the browser very much, so I never really think about it, but I would like to use Tesplayer.

Sometimes it helps to open some simple page and then try to go to the complex one again. I have "empty page" (one word, no javascript) in bookmarks to quickly switch there and back, it helps in most cases (32.4 firmware, not sure if it helps in general).

Sometimes it helps to open some simple page and then try to go to the complex one again. I have "empty page" (one word, no javascript) in bookmarks to quickly switch there and back, it helps in most cases (32.4 firmware, not sure if it helps in general).
I used to do it in the past. Now the browser won't load even that, it simply loads nothing, blank page no matter what you type in (it does form the Google URL for search, but still blank page). Reboots don't help.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Same here, and I have MCU2 (5 month old S). Browser hasn't worked since v9, and I've been on .36, .42, now .44. It won't even cycle through my favorite sites - just stays stuck on teslawaze. And yes I've done both soft and hard reboots. So like ckoval7, I just pretend the car doesn't have a browser.

After taking Ver 9, I took my 2015 Model S to the shop complaining the browser was effectively broken. I presumed all Teslas of this vintage had the same problem and wanted to know the cost to upgrade to new HW. The service manager insisted the browser should work fine. I demonstrated but he maintained it must be something other than the browser, such as my LTE interface. I explained I have the same issue on WiFi. He said to leave the car for the day so they could pull the logs, diagnose it and update with a "special version" of FW. He also said some nonsense about clearing the cache. The result? Zero improvement. Now they claim it's caused by the fact that I've never reset my odometer and because I have a USB flash drive with music on it. I don't believe any of this. Also, the loaner car they provided was a similar Model S. Its browser didn't work either.