Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser no longer works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering about V9. Its seems some love it and some are having issues with everything.

I'm not a fan. It makes some things harder, and I have yet to see anything better from it. Tesla badly needs real UI engineers, not pretend ones. This is the third complete UI refresh we've seen on Tesla, and each one is worse than the last as far as usability goes. They look better, but they are functionally worse.

There is definitely a downside to software updates. The other day I found out that Windows homegroup networking disappeared in the latest Windows 10 update. What the heck? The default standard way to share network folders in a home just disappears? Not that it ever worked well anyways, but still.

Anyways, Tesla software is starting to resemble the mess all software companies seem to go through. The thing is, it isn’t necessary. The Tesla UI doesn’t have that many different things to do. But the software team, which has never, ever covered itself in glory, is spinning its wheels on window dressing rather than addressing functionality.

There is definitely a downside to software updates. The other day I found out that Windows homegroup networking disappeared in the latest Windows 10 update. What the heck? The default standard way to share network folders in a home just disappears? Not that it ever worked well anyways, but still.

Anyways, Tesla software is starting to resemble the mess all software companies seem to go through. The thing is, it isn’t necessary. The Tesla UI doesn’t have that many different things to do. But the software team, which has never, ever covered itself in glory, is spinning its wheels on window dressing rather than addressing functionality.
It's because window dressing is easier to get - find some new cool library and make it look "current". There are many, many more developers out there who can put a new skin on a UI, tie it to some new library, but very few who can actually design a functional UI. I've seen this in other companies with other software projects. Tesla is a Silicon valley company which means that the developer skinning the UI is most likely designing the GUI and nobody knows how it will look like until it's implemented. They also don't seem to have a process to keep complete requirements, which should usually be used for testing, ensuring every feature is tested by QA including when things fail. We can see that by the fact they they release software with features completely broken, like the defrost button not functional (or turning into a frost button), or when v9 came out forgetting folks with executive seats and other features.

Tesla main screen functionality is relatively simple by the way. I agree with you that most of the changes, and v9 by far, made things look "cooler" but much less functional. But I guess easier to use of more functionality doesn't grab media attention like updated tiny icons and fart mode.

My 2016 S HW1 web browser did work but at some point late 2018 it effectively stopped working both on LTE and super fast home WiFi. When frozen you cannot even type in a URL, much less bring it up. A reset with the roller buttons usually makes it so you can type and after a very long delay it might bring up a web page. Certainly dozens of times slower than my phone's browser sitting in the car with LTE or on the WiFi. I spoke to service on the phone and they would not tell me whether or if they could or would fix it.

Look at this:

It looks as if Tesla is blocking web access for a Model S and probably X to make a Model 3's web browser work. Saving money on web server and AT&T bandwidth. THAT IS NOT RIGHT!

Sometime Google captcha it due to too many request coming from the VPN.

There is another problem, lack of computing power. After V9, the map is always running full screen. On my car (mcu1), the browser doesn’t work or runs so slowly that it doesn’t work (e.g the Tesla winds page count down timer would update every 40 seconds or so randomly, instead of ticking down)

The trick is to turn off the map by opening up the sketch pad. You will notice that the map is gone, and if you have the browser up then, it will work much better.

My 2016 S HW1 web browser did work but at some point late 2018 it effectively stopped working both on LTE and super fast home WiFi. When frozen you cannot even type in a URL, much less bring it up. A reset with the roller buttons usually makes it so you can type and after a very long delay it might bring up a web page. Certainly dozens of times slower than my phone's browser sitting in the car with LTE or on the WiFi. I spoke to service on the phone and they would not tell me whether or if they could or would fix it.

Look at this:

It looks as if Tesla is blocking web access for a Model S and probably X to make a Model 3's web browser work. Saving money on web server and AT&T bandwidth. THAT IS NOT RIGHT!
Neh, they are not blocking it. Don't attribute malice when something can be explained by plain ignorance. Welcome to Elon technology. MCU1 is abandoned, nobody cares because it doesn't affect new sales (heck, may be driving new sales if the old stuff just doesn't work anymore). Last time I played with it I realized MCU1 always surfs via VPN, while MCU2 goes direct to the website - this probably is done because they are not patching MCU1 web browser anymore, so setting it free on the internet would be a hacking disaster waiting to happen. The VPN web surfing is just for old cars, so Tesla is not going to invest any time or money improving it. Combine this with an outdated browser which locks up, and you get the web experience you get.

What all those Model 3 enthusiasts don't get is that all those awesome Model 3's are going to be just like this in 3-4 years. The people who called Teslas iPads on wheels were closer than what they thought- the experience with 4 year old Tesla is about the same as an experience with a 4 year old iPad - getting slower almost every update, missing features, and they just want you to buy a new one.

Reactions: am_dmd
So glad I'm still on v8:p

I drove last week with a loaner still on v8.1 2018.4.
It was a frustrating experience and showed how much v9 improved the UI. To Me.
- map tiles (satellite) refresh much slower. Although the loaner is a LTE, while my 2015 is a 3G. I almost forget about that time when those « blank frame » tiles showed while the images were downloaded. Does not happen anymore, except on journeys in poor coverage.
- Old MCU map. Granted the new ones lost colors and to compensate, I now use only satellite view. But what a difference in readability. Same for the names of the cities that now stay always horizontal.
- slow stuttering map pan, rotation and moves. Not sure if I describe this correctly. In V9, it’s not perfect, but way more smooth animations of the map. I do recon it’s even better in MCU2, but MCU1 really improved.
- layout and convenience of the media interface. That is probably a more personal judgement, but it makes much more sense to me than the old style. I agree it still lacks features to browse a large library in either Spotify or USB. And some more.
- Much bigger fonts and icons in v8. That surprised me. I read others complain that v9 brought smaller font sizes and icons. This is indeed true. But again, much happier with the new interface in that one.
- GPS. Now the Tesla replacement of the Navigon/Garmin was not really linked to the v9 version. But I’m not sure. Anyway, having to use it again demonstrated how poor and outdated it was: no valuable online info use in the routing and really off time travel estimates.

So I was afraid in 2015 that the MCU experience would be like on our old iPad2 a complete disaster after 3 years. But it is not to me. I am very happy that Tesla did continue to optimize the code as much as possible.
And I prefer to miss on some new feature, like recently the pole position game that is MCU 2 only, if it spares the performance of the MCU1.

Just my experience, and of course we all have different sensitivities.