Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser on V9 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got new maps a few months ago.
A few ways to tell if you have the new maps:
1. Water looks grey rather than blue.
2. As you rotate the map the names stay horizontal.
3. If you go to Settings --> Apps --> Nav you can see options like "reroute if it save more than X minutes".

The update is silent, you don't initiate it or accept it, it just happens. Apparently it's a big file, 5GB or so, and might require wifi connection.
It also came with a new nav screen left of the speedo, which is also very good.

Ok. Thank you, folks. Yes, I have the new Nav. Don’t know if that means new maps also. It might.
I see no one outside the USA has received ver 9, so, hopefully we will be getting a version with the complaints I have been reading about fixed. They are already up to revision 2018.41!!
Incidentally, I still have the homelink icon on my screen. Pity I don’t have the module to be able to use the feature!

Ok. Thank you, folks. Yes, I have the new Nav. Don’t know if that means new maps also. It might.
I see no one outside the USA has received ver 9, so, hopefully we will be getting a version with the complaints I have been reading about fixed. They are already up to revision 2018.41!!
Incidentally, I still have the homelink icon on my screen. Pity I don’t have the module to be able to use the feature!
I think tesla are making up the homelink story as they go. My new model S does not yet have the icon. It apparently has the hardware.

I was chatting with someone at Tesla yesterday and apparently V9 is already running on a few Tesla-owned cars in Australia. We will be getting it very soon.
On an slightly related note, AP2.5 on my loan car is still not as good as my AP1. Makes sudden lunges out of lane on a stretch of the pacific highway my AP1 can handle fine.

@ShockOnT...yeah...but it also looks like new hardware in the AP2.5 will still need upgrade/replacement CPU to be able to go Full Self Driving and who knows at what cost as the software purchase has been pulled....a little disappointing as I was lead to believe that when Tesla get the software at release all I would need to do is pay for the software, now looks like there will be additional costs in hardware...hmm...for that matter I was sold with software updates our AP1 cars would eventually become full self driving (you know the usual sales pitch it's like getting a new car when it software updates etc.)....full self driving on AP1 is never going to happen and whilst obvious now it was pitched like this by Telsa Sales 3 years ago....

@ShockOnT...yeah...but it also looks like new hardware in the AP2.5 will still need upgrade/replacement CPU to be able to go Full Self Driving and who knows at what cost as the software purchase has been pulled....a little disappointing as I was lead to believe that when Tesla get the software at release all I would need to do is pay for the software, now looks like there will be additional costs in hardware...hmm...for that matter I was sold with software updates our AP1 cars would eventually become full self driving (you know the usual sales pitch it's like getting a new car when it software updates etc.)....full self driving on AP1 is never going to happen and whilst obvious now it was pitched like this by Telsa Sales 3 years ago....
My understanding is that anyone who had the option of purchasing FSD when they ordered their car will have the post-delivery price for FSD honoured, including the needed hardware upgrade.

@lennier that wasn't how I heard it.....what I heard is if one bought the FSD then they would get a new CPU installed at not cost however those enable the FSD license later and one will need to pay for hardware also.....yes yes it compatible but the point is our cars have been sold to us as hardware capable and it's just software to be purchased (that even if you did purchase you wouldn't get as it's not released).

So if you haven't bought the FSD software then you won't get hardware upgrade free, it will cost more if you elect to enable FSD later....trouble is we got promised our AP2.0 cars (and most certainly AP2.5, in my wife's X which is only 1 month old) would be software upgradable via a license purchase and that our cars are all hardware compatible....and if one remembers those with AP2.0 cars are meant to get free upgrades to AP2.5....so it seems this is all now not the case?

See here:
The rub here is that when Tesla first showed off its upcoming Full Self-Driving (FSD) technology, we were told that all cars were being built already equipped with all of the necessary hardware. However, while the sensors are compliant, a new Autopilot computer is needed to bring current models up to spec. The good news is that owners who have already paid for Full Self-Driving will get the upgrade for free. Those who have not can pay some $5,000 to have the switch made and get the feature, which was already disclosed long ago.

From here: Tesla Owners With Full Self-Driving Will Get Free Hardware Upgrade

The section you quote is I believe just pointing out that if you've not yet paid for FSD (but it was available when you ordered) then you have to pay $5k to get it, which was always the case. Doesn't explicitly say you also need to pay additional for the new hardware. It would seem inconsistent with their statement that they will honour the prices people saw at purchase time (when they took the decision to defer and pay the higher post-delivery charge) if they were to charge you more for the hardware. From what I've read it seemed clear that anyone who has bought or could have bought FSD at purchase time will not have to pay any more than they have or expected to in future to get the feature. Perhaps I'm wrong but it would be an uncharacteristically dick move on Tesla's part and should be something they can clarify.

It is a valid point to say that even if you didn't buy FSD at the time of the car, the entire purchase was made with the assumption that FSD could be enabled at some future date.
I'm sure Tesla would have a class action if they decided to disallow FSD purchase in the future for existing AP2.5/2.0 cars.

On an slightly related note, AP2.5 on my loan car is still not as good as my AP1. Makes sudden lunges out of lane on a stretch of the pacific highway my AP1 can handle fine.
Yeah,. you guys surprise me.
I find new AP really really good- although STILL doesn't feel as stable as the AP 1.0 , I haven't had any probs with unexpected manoeuvres apart from transient "phantom braking".
I do drive pretty much the SAME route every single day, though, so maybe it has learned and i have learned to intervene before any dodgy bits?

@ShockOnT agreed....AP2.5 in our X isn't as good as AP1 in my near on 3 years old S.....I can see why/how AP2.5 will be better in the future however right at the moment it isn't as smooth and overly reacts at the smallest of things it "feels" could be a stop event....
Agree. After a few weeks with the new model s, the old autopilot was much more refined. Tesla is not yet at mobileye level, but it is close.

It is a valid point to say that even if you didn't buy FSD at the time of the car, the entire purchase was made with the assumption that FSD could be enabled at some future date.
I'm sure Tesla would have a class action if they decided to disallow FSD purchase in the future for existing AP2.5/2.0 cars.
Yep I certainly purchased mine with that understanding. It’s why I print every web page at the time I place my order.

@paulp I purchased our Model X AP2.5 with the understanding all hardware was capable of FSD and that only a software license purchase would be required in order to enable FSD...not all of a sudden you need the software license and a "oh sorry, AP2.5 that was sold to you 1 month ago is now going to be replaced with AP3.0...I know we said AP2.5 hardware is all that is needed but as it turns out we're wrong...and it's going to cost you"....I have no issues if Tesla need to replace a CPU etc. free of charge on AP2.5 cars if one buys the FSD software license, but I do have an issue for cars coming out with AP3.0 paying less for the FSD license than cars with AP2.0/2.5 (due to hardware CPU change).

Above is the clarification we need from Tesla.

Reactions: Icey