Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser on V9 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. After a few weeks with the new model s, the old autopilot was much more refined. Tesla is not yet at mobileye level, but it is close.

I find opinions on Tesla funny, because many people jump on band wagons, and then their opinion falls in line with those of others. In this thread many people are saying AP1 is still better than AP2+, but the vast majority of opinions and objective analysis shows that AP2 is and has been ahead of AP1 for the best part of a year. The only deficits appear to have been addressed in V9 with the dash iconography.

The same thing happened with with the notion that Tesla interiors are somehow inferior to the equivalent German cars. Having spent considerable time in an E class (previous and current model), the Tesla S has a much nicer interior than the stock E class interior. It has better leather (on the pre vegan leather cars), identical wood, the same switch gear as the W212, a much better sun roof, alcantara roof linings and a pleather appointments on the dash, doors and armrests. To match the Model S interior on an E class, you have to spring for the designo package, which runs close to $20k. That's ignoring the electronics which are vastly superior on the Tesla. But the overwhelming opinion on the internet will tell you that the E class has a better interior. The stock interior on the E class is horrible, and the leather feels like it has rigor mortis.

Panel gaps is another bandwagon that people jumped on. Sure Tesla has panel gaps on some cars. But so do Jags, so do many American made cars. It's better on Mercedes, but its rarely terrible on Teslas anymore.

@Jays200 have you ever written to Tesla and received a response? The guys here in Oz are great, but always limited with their replies due to "mothership" keeping them in the dark also....hardly whinging, just pointing out the word differences we are reading on various articles on the internet.

As an early adopter I may have seen a few of the switch and dismiss previously promised features ....

Last edited:
@Burnt Toast I based my opinion on actually drive both a AP2.5 and a AP1 cars, as we own both. I have no reason that I would want to say AP1 is better than AP2.0+ other than from factual personal experience. I can see the improvements in AP2.0+ but AP1 is still smoother. What you mention are like for like feature sets of AP1 to that of AP2.0+ (changing lanes, speed etc.), not actual real world driving "smoothness" etc. I drive on the same roads in both cars and for the best part of the time AP1 is still smoother and has the wife less of the time saying "put your hands on the wheel!"

Reactions: mike_j
@Jays200 have you ever written to Tesla and received a response? The guys here in Oz are great, but always limited with their replies due to "mothership" keeping them in the dark also....hardly whinging, just pointing out the word differences we are reading on various articles on the internet.

As an early adopter I may have seen a few of the switch and dismiss previously promised features ....

More than once. Even had Hugh Williams give me a call back. I always add a read receipt too.

If you don't write, getting a reply or not, Tesla never knows your praise, concerns or problems.

I've got an open ticket with the USA for our Homelink issues. I reported a damaged supercharger handle when in Adelaide. I try not to waste their time but generally Tesla seems appreciative.

@Burnt Toast My comparison of AP1 vs AP2 was made after driving both cars.
I've got 80,000+ kms on my AP1 MS, and have been driving an AP2.5 MS for the past few days. I also drove an AP2.0 MX for 8 days across Europe last year, but that's much older software.
My observations are:
  • AP2.5 seems to apply "actions" at a higher rate than the AP1, so it feels twitchier and more in-control.
  • Some of these actions are wrong, and the suddenness makes it more challenging to react and correct the mistake
  • It displays a higher number of surrounding cars on the dash, especially in the adjacent lanes
  • It seems slightly better than AP1 on blind crests
  • The collision warning seems buggy. On AP1 when the collision warning fires the car in front flashes red. On the AP2.5 car it did the same, but then suddenly flashed red on another car far ahead in an adjacent lane, and the beeping repeated several times
My general feeling is that AP2.5 has much better sensing and reaction times, but it still has worse decision making than AP1.

I find opinions on Tesla funny, because many people jump on band wagons, and then their opinion falls in line with those of others. In this thread many people are saying AP1 is still better than AP2+, but the vast majority of opinions and objective analysis shows that AP2 is and has been ahead of AP1 for the best part of a year. The only deficits appear to have been addressed in V9 with the dash iconography.

The same thing happened with with the notion that Tesla interiors are somehow inferior to the equivalent German cars. Having spent considerable time in an E class (previous and current model), the Tesla S has a much nicer interior than the stock E class interior. It has better leather (on the pre vegan leather cars), identical wood, the same switch gear as the W212, a much better sun roof, alcantara roof linings and a pleather appointments on the dash, doors and armrests. To match the Model S interior on an E class, you have to spring for the designo package, which runs close to $20k. That's ignoring the electronics which are vastly superior on the Tesla. But the overwhelming opinion on the internet will tell you that the E class has a better interior. The stock interior on the E class is horrible, and the leather feels like it has rigor mortis.

Panel gaps is another bandwagon that people jumped on. Sure Tesla has panel gaps on some cars. But so do Jags, so do many American made cars. It's better on Mercedes, but its rarely terrible on Teslas anymore.
Other than I spent 3 years driving autopilot v1 and have now had a month with the latest version. Both were D cars. No bandwagon, v1 is superior, but that will change.
I love the tesla interior, and always have. My new white interior is even better.
Yes my new tesla needed a driver door asjustment after delivery so that it would shut properly, and the paint job has several defects, but the doors fixed and the rest just doesnt matter when you drive the worlds finest car.....but I standby MY opinion on autopilot.

Reactions: ICUDoc
@paulp I purchased our Model X AP2.5 with the understanding all hardware was capable of FSD and that only a software license purchase would be required in order to enable FSD...not all of a sudden you need the software license and a "oh sorry, AP2.5 that was sold to you 1 month ago is now going to be replaced with AP3.0...I know we said AP2.5 hardware is all that is needed but as it turns out we're wrong...and it's going to cost you"....I have no issues if Tesla need to replace a CPU etc. free of charge on AP2.5 cars if one buys the FSD software license, but I do have an issue for cars coming out with AP3.0 paying less for the FSD license than cars with AP2.0/2.5 (due to hardware CPU change).

Above is the clarification we need from Tesla.
I’ve read several articles where tesla have stated that anyone with full self driving will get the new chip, and that it will be included in the cost of the software upgrade.....but who knows what that cost will be.

@Burnt Toast My comparison of AP1 vs AP2 was made after driving both cars.
I've got 80,000+ kms on my AP1 MS, and have been driving an AP2.5 MS for the past few days. I also drove an AP2.0 MX for 8 days across Europe last year, but that's much older software.
My observations are:
  • AP2.5 seems to apply "actions" at a higher rate than the AP1, so it feels twitchier and more in-control.
  • Some of these actions are wrong, and the suddenness makes it more challenging to react and correct the mistake
  • It displays a higher number of surrounding cars on the dash, especially in the adjacent lanes
  • It seems slightly better than AP1 on blind crests
  • The collision warning seems buggy. On AP1 when the collision warning fires the car in front flashes red. On the AP2.5 car it did the same, but then suddenly flashed red on another car far ahead in an adjacent lane, and the beeping repeated several times
My general feeling is that AP2.5 has much better sensing and reaction times, but it still has worse decision making than AP1.
So far mine new model S has done an emergency brake whilst in AP for a manhole cover, and for no particular reason did a sudden hard swerve left. Unlike V1, I’m not feeling tempted to take my hands off the wheel. Plus I cant change lanes. Didnt realise how much I used that feature. But patience will be rewarded.....