Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser on V9 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our government and logic or consistancy do not go together
The government doesn’t make this decision.

Our road rules are set by the National Road Transport Commission.

The national government doesn’t have power over road rules. That power rests with each state government, but because the states need to coordinate the rules the whole thing has been handed over to this commission.

They are probably a bunch of no-hopers that are too scared to make any bold decisions.

Our government and logic or consistancy do not go together
Tesla Australia should, on the behalf of owners, highlight this hypocrisy. I have no doubt that regardless of how V9 turns out in other countries, we'll always be required to engage the indicators for auto lane changes. I'm pretty sure in other markets when you initiate a lane change on pre V9 software while on autopilot, you aren't required to move the steering wheel. Every time I do it here, I'm prompted to grab the wheel. I might as well just change the lane myself. Nanny state indeed.

Reactions: bob_bear
The government doesn’t make this decision.

Our road rules are set by the National Road Transport Commission.

The national government doesn’t have power over road rules. That power rests with each state government, but because the states need to coordinate the rules the whole thing has been handed over to this commission.

They are probably a bunch of no-hopers that are too scared to make any bold decisions.
Public sevants are part of government.

• Funny
Reactions: bob_bear
Tesla Australia should, on the behalf of owners, highlight this hypocrisy. I have no doubt that regardless of how V9 turns out in other countries, we'll always be required to engage the indicators for auto lane changes. I'm pretty sure in other markets when you initiate a lane change on pre V9 software while on autopilot, you aren't required to move the steering wheel. Every time I do it here, I'm prompted to grab the wheel. I might as well just change the lane myself. Nanny state indeed.
Given the now delayed ‘mad max mode’ is going to effectively weave through traffic, I can’t see us getting approval to use it. Particularly amusing in SA with a government that claims it is a world leader for changing laws for autonomous driving. Can’t even get the full use of summon....or a browser.

Reactions: Burnt Toast
Public sevants are part of government.
Nope, public servants are part of the Australian Public Service.
The APS serves the government, but is not part of the government.

Specifically, according the Public Service Act of 1999 it is an "apolitical public service that is efficient and effective in serving the Government, the Parliament and the Australian public".

Our government is comprised of three groups:
1. The Executive - basically the boss, which in 2018 is still unaccountably the governor-general.
2. The Legislative - elected officials in the lower and upper house (we choose these guys and gals), who are given their power at the whim of the boss
3. The Judicial - the high court who connects the legislation with the proles like you and me

It is the job of our elected officials to make sure the customers (us) are getting value for money from the contractors (the Public Service). The APS is accountable to the government (ostensibly), and the government is accountable to us (ostensibly).

In reality, we have very little control over our government, because most of us don't understand how it works well enough to know which elected official is doing a good job.
And the government has very little control over the public service, because the government comes and goes each election, whereas the public service is unchanging.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and ICUDoc
Aww Bugger, I hate giving the Tesla guys crap. They don't want to hear from a whinging owner about a web browser.
It's not crap, it's feedback. Owners want it, and there doesn't appear to be a legislative barrier stopping it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's to do with the Telstra internet deal. The cost of data (like everything else) is high in Australia, and maybe Tesla got a good deal on the promise that they limit the car's connection to 3G and to maps/spotify. Telsa kept a 3G modem in the car for a long time after an LTE modem as in cars in other markets.