Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser slower than molasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed lately that the browser takes a minute and a day to start up and load pages. It’s so slow that it feels like something must be wrong (runaway thread, memory pressure, priority inversion, etc). I’m on 2021.36.8. Anyone else seeing this unusably slow behavior? It’s not a network issue; same behavior on WiFi, and other tasks (music, maps) are near instant.

IF you suspect some of the things you listed, you can always reboot the infotainment system. I think it's a combination of a fairly slow Atom processor with the fact that development has not spent any energy optimizing those functions. I find Netflix and Youtube to be just as awful as the browser.
I’ll try rebooting next time I drive. I distinctly recall the browser being much faster in the past though, so that suggests it’s not a processor capability issue. It’s also able to very responsively play games; browser startup should be a fraction of the load.

MCU2 upgraded clunker, LTE 2 bars and I am watching uninterrupted Korean soaps while waiting for son's basketball practice to finish,
I so wish the screen orientation was the other way though:)
This after I finished browsing my favorite new sites on browser.

The browser frame would appear faster but I don't think overall it was abel to display the page any faster. They simply added a progress bar for the loading of "apps". On the bright side there's feedback instead of a black screen, on the flip side some people have a feeling that it's slower :)

I’ll try rebooting next time I drive. I distinctly recall the browser being much faster in the past though, so that suggests it’s not a processor capability issue. It’s also able to very responsively play games; browser startup should be a fraction of the load.
The browser is poorly optimized and they have not looked at that thing in years.

Reactions: Zinjan
The browser is poorly optimized and they have not looked at that thing in years.

The browser is useless. It's a neat "wow look it has a browser" feature, but serves no usable purpose other than that.

They recently updated the icons and added the loading screen. I'm sure browser performance is not a priority for Tesla. I do use it sometimes though. I don't have unlimited data on my phone, so I'd rather use Tesla's data.

For anyone using the browser, you should assume it's full of security holes. I don't know anything about its implementation, but if you consider how frequently the major, reputable browsers issues patches, there's no way Tesla is keeping up at the same pace. (Unless they're doing quiet background updates to it separate from whole car OTA, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that's the case.)

This means:
1) Avoid browsing to any website you don't 100% trust. (And hope that even on trusted websites, you won't get attacked via 3rd party ads.)
2) Avoid entering any login information, especially not anything sensitive. (Car forum login maybe okay 😜.)

I wonder how well Tesla has isolated the browser from the rest of the system. Like if a website manages to gain remote code execution via the browser, how much of the infotainment and the car as a whole might they compromise? Maybe they've done a lot, or nothing, I've no idea. I think if they were taking the browser seriously though, they would publish more about their security practices.

Btw I love the idea of the builtin browser, it could be really convenient and useful, but it's so slow and the security is so questionable that I don't think anyone should use it. Much safer to use your phone, assuming you keep its OS and apps up to date.

FWIW I only use it to pull up the Washington State Department of Transportation mountain pass status page (and maybe ski resort conditions) - not personal data or forms or anything, just road closures and weather conditions. On my phone this page loads in a fraction of a second. On the Tesla browser, it takes close to minute to load. Tapping links will respond so slowly you're unsure if you've made contact. I don't think it's deliberate, I just think it's "on the list" - unless it's snappy for everybody else but me, and I'm doing something wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You know, part of the problem is the web sites themselves, with huge amounts of javacript code (that must be interpreted and run by the browser), plenty of images and even videos, many ads... I've always been surprised how powerful a computer needs to be to browse the web. I remember the days where a person "just browsing the internet" could buy the cheapest/slowest computer and be happy. Now, apart from video games, I think web browsing is the second most power and memory-hungry task you typically perform on a computer. Yeah, it shows my age a bit... :)

Oh, and I forgot security... encrypted connections, certificates and all the rest. Things were so much easier and faster (and less secure) before :cool:

EDIT again: we sometimes forget how powerful the phones in our pockets are...

Tried it several times and it is slower than molasses. Won't load the yahoo.com page, let alone netflix... (yes, all 5 LTE bars and even on home wifi...) Just use my phone but would have been nice to have the few times I've used the supercharger...

I think the infotainment system is going to be a place where even a 2021 TM3 starts feeling a little dated. I get there's probably some poor implementation, and probably some decent optimization that could be done (I'm a software engineer) with the browser - but as the car OS gets more demanding, especially with the pending completely new system (from the new S), I think it's going to get clunky.

I guess maybe they'll offer an MCU update when the M3 gets a hardware update.

I’ve noticed lately that the browser takes a minute and a day to start up and load pages. It’s so slow that it feels like something must be wrong (runaway thread, memory pressure, priority inversion, etc). I’m on 2021.36.8. Anyone else seeing this unusably slow behavior? It’s not a network issue; same behavior on WiFi, and other tasks (music, maps) are near instant.
The browser in my Model 3 has been extra slow loading ever since a recent update (2021.32.21). Sometimes it never finishes loading.

When I use chrome on my desktop w/ ad-blocking paused, I realize how much extra crap is being loaded and webpages take much longer to load. I wish they used a form of chromium that allowed for extensions.

Has anyone seen a demo of the browser on the new MS? I would hope the performance would be much better since it's using a new MCU and the interface looks really snappy.