Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

browser update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2765.JPG
while charging at the Bolingbrook supercharger yesterday I tried to use the onboard browser to update my ipass toll pass and got the message seen above. Is there a way to update the browser or does tesla have to do that.

Thanks!

If the browser is this out of date, we should start looking for browser-based hacks to gain root access the car. At a bare minimum this would hopefully prompt Tesla to actually push an update. if they STILL decide that updates are too hard, we'd have a way to give ourselves more horsepower just by visiting hackmytesla.ru or whatever, the way old iphones could be jailbroken through a browser hole.

Slow as the browser is right now. It actually has a use. That is to load tesla specific web pages as apps that allows you to extend the utility of your big centre screen. Examples include tesla winds and the various weather radar apps. It is a window to add additional functions that is not made available by tesla now. When and if they open a proper App Store, that browser will be redundant, but it is still useful now. Just not for web browsing.

What's disappointing is that often the Tesla website doesn't fully work with the on board browser...

It appears the long-promised kernel update was include in an 8.x update - so maybe we'll see the updated browser soon (9.0?).

Though... Does the Model 3 even have a browser app??? Since the browser hasn't been that useful - is it possible Tesla might drop that feature, since (almost) everyone has smartphones and tablets???

What's disappointing is that often the Tesla website doesn't fully work with the on board browser...

It appears the long-promised kernel update was include in an 8.x update - so maybe we'll see the updated browser soon (9.0?).

Though... Does the Model 3 even have a browser app??? Since the browser hasn't been that useful - is it possible Tesla might drop that feature, since (almost) everyone has smartphones and tablets???
The browser isn't really used for web in my model S. It is a window to run arbitrarily apps and content on he big screen. It will be useful until the day that Tesla allows 2 way phone mirroring or a Tesla App Store to work.