TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Browsing for SC/Duel Motors around $40K

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Wilso566, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Wilso566

Wilso566 Member

My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting a model s while we wait for a model 3. We live in Idaho where we get a lot of snow, so duel Motors seems like a must have. It must be supercharger enabled! My wife would love to have autopilot, but if it breaks the bank we can wait. I don't care about the size of the battery pack as long as it's SC enabled. Thank you!

2. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Thinking $40k is a stretch - that's "classic" pre-ap with very few options and higher mileage price territory.

To get dual motors it would have to be a late 2014 85D or 70D with 100k miles and possibly a salvage title (no warranty).

• Like x 1
  3. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

It has been a few weeks, but I have seen more than one MS 60kw rear wheel drive CPO offered at high 40s.
    Otherwise, I agree with above.

4. Wilso566

Wilso566 Member

Thanks for the input! I have a few questions. How does a salvage MS work? If it was SC enabled does it still work? I've read different posts saying to goes either way. I would be worried about having no warranty. Also, cars with high mileage, how are they doing? Do you lose a lot of battery life? This car wouldn't necessarily be a 'in town' car. It will go on some pretty decent drives that would require superchargers.

5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

You'll probably see a lot of higher mileage cars - folks seem to drive Teslas more (with no other changes till my circumstances, I look to be on a path to drive the Tesla twice as far as the last few cars.)

The good news is they seem to take the miles very well. I know about a couple cars that are over 200k already, with few issues. Less vibration and thermal stress makes for a better service life. You should expect 5-10% capacity loss on a 200k car it seems.

The early rear drive cars have had a lot of drive unit replacements, mostly for conditions that didn't stop the car, but the smaller motors used in both axles on the D cars haven't needed replacing at all that I've seen (and the rate of replacement on older cars seems to have gone way down in recent months.)