Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

browsing or APPs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought of a question that never came to me during either of my test drives.....

do these cars have a browser, so that basically any web site can be browsed...Chrome or similar?

I know I've seen mention of some games included...perhaps with premium connectivity option. I'm not a gamer so I didn't may much attention to that, but I assume that if these few games are a "feature", then that probably means that apps such as android apps or similar, can't be installed. is that right?

Sure does. Based on Chromium in the latest software releases. It's not the fastest thing, and not all chromium features are supported (video one notable omission). There are dedicated "Tesla optimized" sites like motherfrunker.ca which has applets designed for quick execution.

All applications like games, Spotify, TuneIn, etc that are installed on the car are authored or ported by Tesla themselves. There was talk of an App Store a few years ago but it's lost steam and it's pretty doubtful it will be available in the near to medium term.

Lack of CarPlay and Android auto is my biggest disappointment with the infotainment system.

cool.... but no video...so no youtube while charging I suppose?

Youtube is one of the built in apps, so is hulu, and netflix. I have also heard of people logging into their own plex server while stationary using the browser.

You cant sideload any apps or anything, but you have an "ok" web browser that can get to some sites, and the video apps I mentioned.

Just thought of a question that never came to me during either of my test drives.....

do these cars have a browser, so that basically any web site can be browsed...Chrome or similar?

I know I've seen mention of some games included...perhaps with premium connectivity option. I'm not a gamer so I didn't may much attention to that, but I assume that if these few games are a "feature", then that probably means that apps such as android apps or similar, can't be installed. is that right?

Apps cant be installed but one of the selling points is watchign stuff while charging so it doesn't feel like you've been there for a long time.

It feels too quick when you supercharge and you're watching an episode of something. When you're not supercharing thats a different story. Definitely not going to stay 2 Hours to charge 20-25%