Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brrr! I'm cold! (Interior Cabin Temp Wrong and Blowing Cold Air)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two intermittent problems:
  1. When I set the Climate on and to 75F from the app, when I get to the car, it's cold. But get this: The app says the interior temp is 75F. It's not. It's not the 30F that it is outside... but it's not the grandma warm that I want it to be
  2. When the above happens, I turn the Climate off of Auto and set the Temp to HI: Cold air blows (not a bit of warmth), so I couldn't manually fix the problem.
I've hesitated contacting Tesla since it's intermittent, but at least once a week. I do whatever I'm doing (shopping, going to work, etc.) and I come back and the car is warm the next time I turn climate on.

Anyone else having these problems?

1. When I set the Climate on and to 75F from the app, when I get to the car, it's cold. But get this: The app says the interior temp is 75F. It's not. It's not the 30F that it is outside... but it's not the grandma warm that I want it to be
  2. When the above happens, I turn the Climate off of Auto and set the Temp to HI: Cold air blows (not a bit of warmth), so I couldn't manually fix the problem.
I've hesitated contacting Tesla since it's intermittent, but at least once a week. I do whatever I'm doing (shopping, going to work, etc.) and I come back and the car is warm the next time I turn climate on.

For Grandma warmth, from your App remotely pre-condition the car by setting temp up to HI. Very toasty, actually very similar to the Fireplace Easter Egg warmth. This only works from the App, not the car’s screen. And once you get in the car it goes to your regular setting from what I’ve seen. You might also see how the heater temp is from the Fireplace Easter Egg. If not nice and warm, time to call service.

I normally have my car temp on App set to 67F which I drive at as well during the winter. The 3 setting for the seat and foot warming button keeps me warm except for those really cold moist mornings where I get frost on the car. The HI App setting is very welcome.

Last edited:
You are so right OP. I've posted about this:

I've looked at my app when the cold air comes on. On the app we can see if it is hot air or cold air entering the cabin, based on our temperature setting. When it's cold outside, and you are warming the car, the arrows in the climate part of the app will be red indicating heat. On the contrary, when the air is being cooled, the arrows are blue. It is too bad that we cannot see the temperature of the air, whether warm or cool, while driving, but only on the app. But while driving, I did check what was happening. If I set the temperature to 68 degrees and the cabin was initially colder, the hot air (red arrows) would show. While driving, I happened to check the app when I started feeling colder air coming in at my feet. The app showed the interior temperature at 69 degrees, and so the car was now trying to cool it back down to 68 degrees. The arrows were blue, indicating AC or cool air coming in. Instead of leaving the car as is and letting it cool passively, it was actively cooling the car. This is what is annoying.

If there was a heat or cool button, I assume this active switching back and forth would not happen. How hard can this be to program from the standpoint of all of the intelligent programmers at Tesla? I am a little disappointed as well.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
You are so right OP. I've posted about this:

I've looked at my app when the cold air comes on. On the app we can see if it is hot air or cold air entering the cabin, based on our temperature setting. When it's cold outside, and you are warming the car, the arrows in the climate part of the app will be red indicating heat. On the contrary, when the air is being cooled, the arrows are blue. It is too bad that we cannot see the temperature of the air, whether warm or cool, while driving, but only on the app. But while driving, I did check what was happening. If I set the temperature to 68 degrees and the cabin was initially colder, the hot air (red arrows) would show. While driving, I happened to check the app when I started feeling colder air coming in at my feet. The app showed the interior temperature at 69 degrees, and so the car was now trying to cool it back down to 68 degrees. The arrows were blue, indicating AC or cool air coming in. Instead of leaving the car as is and letting it cool passively, it was actively cooling the car. This is what is annoying.

If there was a heat or cool button, I assume this active switching back and forth would not happen. How hard can this be to program from the standpoint of all of the intelligent programmers at Tesla? I am a little disappointed as well.

Are you using Auto or Manual? I may be wrong but I'm thinking you'll have that problem with Auto but not with Manual. I always use Manual.

The app showed the interior temperature at 69 degrees, and so the car was now trying to cool it back down to 68 degrees. The arrows were blue, indicating AC or cool air coming in.

Great info. That confirms what I've suspected.

Here's my solution: Set the thermostat temperature to six degrees above what you want. If you want the cabin to be 67 degrees, set it to 73 degrees. I call this the Kevin Bacon Law.

• Funny
Reactions: DaveRZ

Had that exact problem for 9 mths in my MX. A total nightmare (over past winter in Denmark) with Tesla SC clueless and 3 visits with no fix. Suddenly they came across a “service article” about a thermostat wire which can be pinched with wear and cause intermittent faulty temp readout. Fixed now.

Scubadane