Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brushless Car Wash at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to emulate a brushless car wash at home? It's getting cold and I don't have the time and patience to do a thorough job.

Foam cannon, rinse, then air dry? My car has a ceramic coating. Any specific products or recommendations will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Any electric leaf blower works? Any recommendations? Thx
I just got whatever el-cheapo leaf blower they had at home depot. If you have wax/polymer/ceramic still on the paint, it blows the water off extremely quickly... If you don't, it takes longer, but then it is also a good indicator that you need to apply something to the paint. But anyways I got an el cheapo corded ryobi one, but I bought it like 20 years ago.. Looking at what they have now, if I were to do it again, I'd probably get the DeWalt 20V one (since I have all DeWalt tools), so that I don't have to bother with entension cords when drying the car... Looking at the output, the 20v DeWalt one says 450cfm which looks to be the same as the corded one that I currently use. So if you already have cordless tools, I'd probably get a leaf blower that is compatible with whatever battery system you use.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Upvote 0
If your car has ceramic coating, you're able to pressure spray the car and use a blow dryer to air dry. No need to use soap or get your hands dirty.
I'll do you one better, I ceramic coated the wife's car so on rainy days she'll park it outside for a free wash then pull it in and fiber cloth it down, lol.

I do have a blow dryer but its too unwieldy for her. It's just so funny what silly things ceramic coatings allow us to do. Once my kid resprayed the trim on his car and got overspray on the paint. Luckily I also ceramic coated his car and saved the day by using alcohol to remove the overspray. The ceramic coating prevented the spray paint sticking, thank goodness.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'll do you one better, I ceramic coated the wife's car so on rainy days she'll park it outside for a free wash then pull it in and fiber cloth it down, lol.

I do have a blow dryer but its too unwieldy for her. It's just so funny what silly things ceramic coatings allow us to do. Once my kid resprayed the trim on his car and got overspray on the paint. Luckily I also ceramic coated his car and saved the day by using alcohol to remove the overspray. The ceramic coating prevented the spray paint sticking, thank goodness.
That happened to me a long time ago, except I had a polymer (Zaino) on my black car... I was painting some mirror housings for a different car (that I had removed from the car), and thought everything was good... A few days later, while my car was parked in the sun, I noticed I had overspray everywhere. Claybar to the rescue... A few months later when coming back from a football game, they had repainted the lines on the freeway, and I had white paint all over the side of my car. (It was nighttime, so I didn't even know until the next day... Claybar removed that as well...

Upvote 0
if you're going the filtered water route, why not just pay a little more and get a whole house filtration system? This way you have filtered water throughout house for drinking, showering AND washing your car. Makes a world of difference. Change filters every 6-8 months at ~$80..........just a thought. Just got MY have not had a chance to wash it yet.

whole house water filter

Upvote 0
Is there a way to emulate a brushless car wash at home? It's getting cold and I don't have the time and patience to do a thorough job.

Foam cannon, rinse, then air dry? My car has a ceramic coating. Any specific products or recommendations will be appreciated.
Where in Maryland are you? I'm in Newark, DE. I have a wide range of products and can you learn all the various methods. Pressure washer with a foam cannon, waterless wash, rinseless wash, ceramic coat toppers, etc. I have a 2nd locker with more stuff.
1639664708360.png

Upvote 0
Rinseless washes have sufficient lubricants and surfactants to prevent this.
Maybe its just the pollen we have... I have several pine trees near me, and when I used a rinseless wash, it most definitely did NOT prevent the tree pollen from leaving scratches. Granted, pine trees tend to leave a LOT of pollen. My car was black, so it could have just made it more obvious... Either way, I found it was way less effort to just hose down the car for a quick rinse, using the misting mode and blow dry. Pollen just melts off like butter.

Upvote 0