Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BSM: V_ess too low during precharge, t2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... I had this error pop up again last night. The car was charging from 38%, at 240V, 40A, in our 95F garage, with all fans funning. I disconnected the charger to run an errand and got the BSM: V_ess too low at end of precharge. ID:276 error right when I removed the charger (hadn't turned the car on yet). I opened & closed the charge port door a few times and cycled the key a few times to no avail. I disconnected the OVMS, no luck. With the key out, I removed the lighter socket to USB adapter, put the key back in, turned the car on, and the error went away. Could this be a coincidence or could there be something with the adapter that's causing the error? The adapter is a Qmadix MMCH-DUO (although it's the single USB version) http://amzn.com/B004Z5GPO6. The adapter came with the car.

My car would not start this morning. I drove to an early morning Bible study and after sitting outside for 75 minutes the car would not start saying BSM: V_ess too low at end of recharge. It sounds like for a few of you the error went away later and for others they had to replace/refurbish the pack. Are there other options people have seen success with? Thank you

According to VDS screens there are no bricks below 4.01V. I pulled the logs and ran through the VMS Parser and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Brick 49 is low with a CAC of 140.58 but Brick 49 has been lowest for the last 5 years and the CAC has been around 140 for over a year. It is now $750 to get towed to the service center 225 miles away. It is now 18 with the temperatures dropping fast, not good for working on the car.

Last edited:
My car is back from the service center and running like a champ and it charges! It was the HVAC unit under the hood or as they called it the high voltage controller. About $1000 and then about $200 labor. So that was far less than I feared. Getting to the service center was my challenge.

Thank you for the suggestions.

My car is back from the service center and running like a champ and it charges! It was the HVAC unit under the hood or as they called it the high voltage controller. About $1000 and then about $200 labor. So that was far less than I feared. Getting to the service center was my challenge.

Thank you for the suggestions.

That orange 400V power converter is a PITA. I've had two blow on my car (one time taking out the fuse inside the ESS along with it).

That controller is a known issue. I've been told that it is worthwhile checking the gaskets on it for degredation, checking the PCB for lamination coming away and otherwise signs of water ingress.

I'm also told the supplier is 5 miles from me and what's inside is off the shelf...

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy