Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BT Phone call issues with Essential Phone PH-1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just switched from a Google Pixel to an Essential Phone PH-1. I had no issues setting the PH-1 as a new key, and no issues connecting to bluetooth. I have no problems playing music over bluetooth, but when I try to make a call, I hear a series of maybe 6 rapid clicks, and then it's silent and the call doesn't come through the car. If I switch the phone back to the handset I hear the call continuing on as usual, but switching back to the car bluetooth gives silence. This phone has no issues making a call on my other car, and I have tried resetting the car computer as well as forgetting and re-pairing the call. Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

I am having this exact same issue using a OnePlus 3T running latest version of LineageOS, as well as a Samsung Galaxy S5 running an older version of LineageOS. 6 clicks or so then silence, cannot hear audio of a call unless I switch to handset mode bypassing the car's speakers. Please keep me posted on your progress. I wondered if this was an issue with the latest versions of Android, but given that the issue persists over two different phones, I'm wondering if a Tesla software update broke something.

There is a possibly related solution posted in another forum that could be related to inability of current Tesla firmware to handle special characters in phone Contacts, but this just seems odd. My car should be able to handle parsing the occasional ampersand...

Please keep me updated on your progress.

[UPDATE]: I just deleted the Phone As Key connections for both phones to see if that helped, and now both phones dial and work flawlessly. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
This morning I tried disabling syncing of contacts for the tesla bluetooth connection both via the tesla interface, and on my phone, but neither of those had any impact. Appreciate the suggestion, but I think this is a different issue. I'll probably have to call tesla.

Have had this issue with my PH1 since Day 1 of the TM3 ownership. Phone works on everything except calls.

The only consistent method that works is when I make a call, I choose "Speaker" on my phone, once the dialogue begins, I adjust the volume on the steeringwheel, then transfer the call back to TM3. Works every single time -- PIA, still.

• Helpful
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Temporary Resolution Found. I have had the same problems as discussed about Essential PH 1. Got car in November. Have talked to Main Service Center and had Mobile at my house. They talked to engineering, who said it's an incompatibility that will require a firmware update. After spending many hours, I found a way to make the phone complete calls. It requires going to Developer Options under System in Settings. In order to activate Developer Options, first go to Build and tap repeatedly until Developer Options appears. Once you are in it scroll down to Bluetooth Codex, in submenu choose AAC or Enable other codes. Phone will now complete calls. <Problem< The phone keeps reverting back to system default and the phone doesn't connect until you repeat the setting. I hope someone can take it farther from here!

Hey guys, new owner here. Thanks for the insights regarding the bluetooth calling issues with my Essential phone. I don't recall getting a notification regarding an update for my Tesla, but I did just update my phone to Android 9.0 and bluetooth calling worked! Car shows V9 (2018.50.6 4ec03ed). How can I tell if I'm running 5.4?