Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great thought, maybe we can get pictures of the battery pack? Any distinguishing difference we can determine if they are playing the so game!?

I wanna win!!!! I think you have something going here

You'd have to remove the pack from the car. The 400V pack has the two extra modules in the front on top and the 350V pack doesn't have the bump in front. You can only see it by dropping the battery from the car though. Someone who knows how to run diagnostics on the car might be able to see something in the data.

This makes sense to me. But who knows? Strange things have happened before.

I don't believe that there is any legal requirement to put a sticker on the battery at all? And arguably an 85 pack, software limited to 75, is still a 75 pack. So I don't know how Tesla could be falling afoul of any laws. What did they do when the went from 60 to 70? It was a similar situation.

The US has fairly strict laws to support emergency responders. I think the label on the pack needs to be labeled accurately with the pack voltage. I don't believe there is any requirement that they accurately label the capacity though.

If Europe doesn't have laws like this, they can mislabel the voltage on the pack and get away with it.

Irrespective of whether Tesla sells it as a 75 and puts a 75 badge on the trunk, the sticker on the battery itself will say 85kW/400V if that's what it is. Just need to crawl behind the passage front wheel to see the battery sticker (no need to remove the pack).

I strongly doubt they had a large stock of left over 85 batteries. When they phase out an old battery, they keep production going with the old battery until supplies are exhausted. When the 85 was phased out, they announced it was going away and kept building them for a month or so.

They have made a stock of older battery packs for service swaps, but that wouldn't make sense for all the 85s appearing in Europe.

I suspect all the 75s being built today have new 85/90s using the new modules and they are putting old stickers on them until they make the announcement, then they will replace the sticker with the correct one at a service appointment. In the US consumer protection laws are different from the EU, so they may need to put a different false sticker on the American packs. I could be wrong, Tesla could be in legal trouble in some places if they are doing that.

I wonder what people are seeing in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. There has been very little contribution from those places in this thread.

I think this is real wishful thinking. I don't think Tesla will purposely put a false sticker so avoid speculations by a very very small subset of people (us). I mean if they really wanted to keep mum, they would rather not put the sticker (or put it in a different location that's not visible). In the past, all software limited cars had the actual correct battery sticker.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong! I am getting my car delivered before EOQ.

Irrespective of whether Tesla sells it as a 75 and puts a 75 badge on the trunk, the sticker on the battery itself will say 85kW/400V if that's what it is. Just need to crawl behind the passage front wheel to see the battery sticker (no need to remove the pack).
At least one owner has posted that was the case with his car. I guess many of the other posts above didn't read post #175 in this very thread.

For those who missed it, @maggo321 ordered a 75D and the battery says 85 kWh and car specs mention BTX8.

Labelling the car wrong wouldnt help much.. when you supercharge it will be easy to distinguish a 350V and 400V pack, just look at the charging voltage.
400V pack will show way higher voltage than a 350V pack - simple as that

My point is the label on the pack may not be what it really is.

I think this is real wishful thinking. I don't think Tesla will purposely put a false sticker so avoid speculations by a very very small subset of people (us). I mean if they really wanted to keep mum, they would rather not put the sticker (or put it in a different location that's not visible). In the past, all software limited cars had the actual correct battery sticker.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong! I am getting my car delivered before EOQ.

There is something weird going on with a lot of 75s delivered in Europe having the 85 pack label and the US ones saying it's a 75 pack. My explanation is the only explanation I can think of that explains it.

Labelling the car wrong wouldnt help much.. when you supercharge it will be easy to distinguish a 350V and 400V pack, just look at the charging voltage.
400V pack will show way higher voltage than a 350V pack - simple as that

Has anyone with the European 85 packs supercharged yet? What did the screen say?

My point is the label on the pack may not be what it really is.

There is something weird going on with a lot of 75s delivered in Europe having the 85 pack label and the US ones saying it's a 75 pack. My explanation is the only explanation I can think of that explains it.

Has anyone with the European 85 packs supercharged yet? What did the screen say?

Heres a quick video with a 60 kwh (350V) vs an 85kwh (400V) supercharging. if you look at the voltage you can easily see the difference.

Last edited:
Does this show you anything useful?

75D with the BTX8 (85) pack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 232
Sorry just slightly off topic, but can anyone tell from my photo whether I have the dual chargers (or is it called an upgraded charger nowadays)?

ETA - I forgot the SCs don't use the car's internal charger.....so you can't tell from this.

If you can turn up the Amperage to 24A while not connected to a charger you have the upgraded 16,5kW onboard charger. If it max out at 16A you only have the 11kW charger.

Upgraded charger is standard for all EU cars ordered after 31 June. Before that no 75D got the upgraded charger.

No I only have 16A showing on the screen.

Krash - My spec sheet has disappeared now I have the car. Is there no way to get this anymore? I might have a copy at home on my PC though (at work now).

If you install Visible Tesla
VisibleTesla

and look at the details of the car, the pop up window with all the details has a list of all the detail codes at the bottom. Getting the picture from My Tesla will tell you some of the codes, those Tesla uses to select the picture, but the only way to get the full list I've found is with Visible Tesla.

So there are still some BTX7 packs (all with code BR05: limited) coming out of production it seems, another Model X hit inventory today.

But AFAIK we still do not have a photo of the pack sticker for one. That will answer at least one big Q, is it a bigger pack like the BTX8 or not.

Assuming I did not miss a BTX7 snapshot, then maybe we could ask all new S/X owners to check to see if their car has it. But I don't think they can easily check their car option codes after delivery (@Krash the photo URL does not work for me, just a few cosmetic codes for the photo are shown, not all the codes).

Alternatively, maybe we can get someone to snap a pack shot on one of these Model X's.

55845 Baltimore,MD
59692 San Jose,CA
55861 Mission Viejo,CA
59673 Fremont,CA
59803 Lathrop,CA