Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla wants to save money and share parts as much as possible across their vehicles. The 90 and 75 had the same modules, just different numbers of them. The small pack had 14 modules and the large pack 16. The 100 pack has a denser module with more cells and is actually 102 KWh. If they make a pack with 14X modules used in the 100 KWh pack, it would come out to about 89 KWh and it will actually be higher capacity than the old 90 pack which was around 86 KWH.

I think this is just Tesla consolidating production to only make 1 module again and package them with 14 or 16 modules. Just the improvement in the pack alone would explain the acceleration increase in the 75 announced on July 1.

The 75 has been limited by the power the pack can put out. The 90 was mostly limited by the motors. The 100D got a slight improvement maybe because of the new drive unit and inverter, or it might have just been the larger battery pack that could deliver more current. In any case, people don't generally decide on a 75 or 90 based on the performance, people bought the 90 for range and the 100D will continue to be the range king. I expect once they reveal the new 75 is really an 85 (really 89 and they could market it as a 90), it should have around 300 miles range. The entry level S should also have better range than the top of the line Model 3.

They may raise the price of the new 85 (or 90) when they announce it to bring it a little closer to the 100.

I've been expecting a new 85 or 90 since late last year when the 100 was introduced. When the old 90 was discontinued, I knew the end of the 75 was not far behind.[/QUOTE]

Your comment makes a lot of sense; I had forgotten that the 100 and 75 used different modules. So it's just addition of cells. But it's still a marketing problem. The 100D base price is a third more than the 75D. That's a bit crazy as it is. But when the 75 is an 85 (89), that's not at all sustainable.

Will they push up the price of the 75/85, or drop the 100? Is it even possible to sustain the price of the S with the M3 in the mix? I'd say it's possible to sustain the price on the S, if there were a substantial cosmetic upgrade. But not otherwise.

Tesla wants to save money and share parts as much as possible across their vehicles. The 90 and 75 had the same modules, just different numbers of them. The small pack had 14 modules and the large pack 16. The 100 pack has a denser module with more cells and is actually 102 KWh. If they make a pack with 14X modules used in the 100 KWh pack, it would come out to about 89 KWh and it will actually be higher capacity than the old 90 pack which was around 86 KWH.

I think this is just Tesla consolidating production to only make 1 module again and package them with 14 or 16 modules. Just the improvement in the pack alone would explain the acceleration increase in the 75 announced on July 1.

The 75 has been limited by the power the pack can put out. The 90 was mostly limited by the motors. The 100D got a slight improvement maybe because of the new drive unit and inverter, or it might have just been the larger battery pack that could deliver more current. In any case, people don't generally decide on a 75 or 90 based on the performance, people bought the 90 for range and the 100D will continue to be the range king. I expect once they reveal the new 75 is really an 85 (really 89 and they could market it as a 90), it should have around 300 miles range. The entry level S should also have better range than the top of the line Model 3.

They may raise the price of the new 85 (or 90) when they announce it to bring it a little closer to the 100.

I've been expecting a new 85 or 90 since late last year when the 100 was introduced. When the old 90 was discontinued, I knew the end of the 75 was not far behind.

That's what I had been expecting as well. The joker in the deck is that the label identifies it as a 400V pack rather than the 350V labelled on the 75s and past small battery cars. I'm not sure what to make of that just yet.

Will they push up the price of the 75/85, or drop the 100? Is it even possible to sustain the price of the S with the M3 in the mix? I'd say it's possible to sustain the price on the S, if there were a substantial cosmetic upgrade. But not otherwise.

The price drop on the 75D earlier this year may have been to position the 85D to be priced in the middle.

Last edited:
This is from the US custom build page. Codes as 90 battery under the 75D option.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 10.43.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 10.43.48 AM.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 333
So yes, I do think there are now 85kWh batteries limited to 75kWh, as I've been asserting since the BTX7 code appeared with some cars appearing as 85Ds, but then quickly disappearing.

My Model S 75D, manufactured May 2017 has codes BTX7 and BR05

The sticker on the battery says:
75kWh,80P,350VDC
Tesla part number 1119235-00-A

Interpretations?

Attachments

• 170724_212016.png
    170724_212016.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
My own s
So you got the new battery but old inverter. I am in the opposite situation. How fast is your 0-60 time? Did the car's quickness change since you got it?
What is the indicator of the "new battery"? And, what is the real-world implication?

I haven't been doing my own 0-60 tests and tracking them over time. I have not noticed any change in acceleration.

My own s

What is the indicator of the "new battery"? And, what is the real-world implication?

I haven't been doing my own 0-60 tests and tracking them over time. I have not noticed any change in acceleration.
Like you mention earlier BTX7 is the new 75D battery and BR05 means upgradable. I have BTX5. It is unclear as to how much the performance upgrade 1) will be battery, 2) will be drive unit and 3) will cost.

Mind timing your 0-60 for us?

It was only a matter of time, before they switched to the new modules for all their cars. I was just hoping that they would use 12 modules, for a 76.5 kWh car, instead of 14 for a 89.3 kWh version.

That new 85D will be way too close in range to a 100D, for Tesla to allow it being $23k cheaper. So anyone thinking about ordering a 75D, or even more a RWD 75... I'd do that right now. Those are the best value for money Model Ses that ever existed.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
It was only a matter of time, before they switched to the new modules for all their cars. I was just hoping that they would use 12 modules, for a 76.5 kWh car, instead of 14 for a 89.3 kWh version.

That new 85D will be way too close in range to a 100D, for Tesla to allow it being $23k cheaper. So anyone thinking about ordering a 75D, or even more a RWD 75... I'd do that right now. Those are the best value for money Model Ses that ever existed.

I'm not sure about that. The Model 3 will be pulling hard downward on the price of the S in general. UNLESS, there is a significant upgrade to the S.

Reactions: croman
I'm not sure about that. The Model 3 will be pulling hard downward on the price of the S in general. UNLESS, there is a significant upgrade to the S.

But they can't afford to keep a 23k price difference, for .1 second 0-60 and about 40 more miles of range. So they either reduce the 100Ds price, or make more options standard, or they increase the price of the base version.

And what would they upgrade on the S, that would warrant a price increase, besides more range? They already gave it more performance.

But they can't afford to keep a 23k price difference, for .1 second 0-60 and about 40 more miles of range. So they either reduce the 100Ds price, or make more options standard, or they increase the price of the base version.

And what would they upgrade on the S, that would warrant a price increase, besides more range? They already gave it more performance.

The interior and MCU are the most likely candidates. And I agree with the price differential comment; it has to close.

The interior and MCU are the most likely candidates. And I agree with the price differential comment; it has to close.

But how much would a MCU update really be worth?

They could go for a more luxurious interior, that's true. But I still doubt that is coming.

My best guess is the introduction of a 85D, dropping the RWD and making the base Model S start somewhere around 80k.