Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shows my BTX8 code as 'No CHAdeMO Charging Adaptor'
I don't see BTX8 on either the US or GB (UK) "Show All Possible Options" tab as the teslastuff.net hasn't been updated since the BTX7 or BTX8 codes have been seen. CDM0 is 'No CHAdeMO Charging Adaptor'. Also @cameronr, why does your link go to whaleface.com instead of options.teslastuff.net?

We are still awaiting the BTX8 battery in the US. All the new UK and Norway vehicles seem to be BTX8.
If you can charge 25- 30kw/h at 100% that means you have a 75D with a limited 85kw battery
@maggo321, if your car has been delivered, you can also look at the sticker on the lower right wheel well. Turn the wheels all the way to the left and use a phone in case the sticker is partially obscured.

Last edited:
We are still awaiting the BTX8 battery in the US. All the new UK and Norway vehicles seem to be BTX8.

I don't think that's the case. Seems pretty random. If you look on TeslaScout here TeslaScout - 5YJSA7E28HF193794 - MODEL_S 75D NEW 2017 - 50 KM 96990 EUR it's a 75D with BTX8 and doesn't have the new drive unit (DU00).

Others on there are later and have BTX5. So those BTX8 batteries are still a mystery - either using up some stock or trialling limited 85 packs. If you Google BTX8 DV4W you get about 15 75Ds. None of these have DU00 which is interesting. You get no hits for BTX8 DV2W so the 75S hasn't had any BTX8 packs.

So why would BTX8 get added without the new drive units on some of these 75Ds?

For those posting options codes on inventory cars, how do you find that info? I've been toying with upgrading to a new 75 lately, but this makes me think I should at least figure out how to evaluate the potential larger battery. Thanks.

For those posting options codes on inventory cars, how do you find that info? I've been toying with upgrading to a new 75 lately, but this makes me think I should at least figure out how to evaluate the potential larger battery. Thanks.
Tesla Scout and Tesla Inventory Search have been asked to add the codes to the selection criteria. When they do it will be much easier. Their administrators can see those codes. But it won't matter in Maryland as there are no BTX8 cars in the US yet.

A randomized controlled trial for testing thermal outcomes and battery wear maybe? The BTX8 battery was available before the DU00 drive unit so maybe that car is just older inventory.

Last edited:
Where is this from? It shows my BTX8 code as 'No CHAdeMO Charging Adaptor'. Someone on here has said that the BTX8 code means the 85kw battery in a 75D?

How reliable is it?
The codes are pulled directly from Tesla's website (if you view source on the design studio, you can see them embedded in there). For codes that don't have a description on design studio, it'll show an empty description. I just noticed there's a display bug where if you click on the description of an item above one without a description, that description will show up on the line below. I think this is what's happening with chademo showing on BTX8.

I don't see BTX8 on either the US or GB (UK) "Show All Possible Options" tab as the teslastuff.net hasn't been updated since the BTX7 or BTX8 codes have been seen. CDM0 is 'No CHAdeMO Charging Adaptor'. Also @cameronr, why does your link go to whaleface.com instead of options.teslastuff.net?
I updated the code late last night and wasn't sure if frosken (the original author) was interested in my changes. I put the code on my site just to have it up somewhere. My pull request was accepted, though, so changes should make it to options.teslastuff.net (i have a few more changes to get in there).

I don't think that's the case. Seems pretty random. If you look on TeslaScout here TeslaScout - 5YJSA7E28HF193794 - MODEL_S 75D NEW 2017 - 50 KM 96990 EUR it's a 75D with BTX8 and doesn't have the new drive unit (DU00).

Others on there are later and have BTX5. So those BTX8 batteries are still a mystery - either using up some stock or trialling limited 85 packs. If you Google BTX8 DV4W you get about 15 75Ds. None of these have DU00 which is interesting. You get no hits for BTX8 DV2W so the 75S hasn't had any BTX8 packs.

There are BTX8 cars with DU00. At least 2 such Inventory cars available in Sweden with the 85kWh pack and the new Drive Unit:

Model S 75D 5YJSA7E29HF204155 | Tesla Sverige

Model S 75D 5YJSA7E28HF204082 | Tesla Sverige

I've added the ability to filter New(Inventory) and Used(CPO) cars on the BTX5, BTX8, DU00, and DU01 codes on https://EV-CPO.com in the "Must Have" Options selection area for both Model S and Model X.

These options are AND'd together, so you if you select both BTX5 and BTX8 you'll get zero cars.

Same with DU00 and DU01, except there are three oddball US Model S 75s already sold that have both DU00 and DU01 codes, which I suspect are just coding errors on the Tesla end.

Reactions: cameronr
This would be amazing. I ordered a 75D expecting delivery in September. Hopefully this is the case.

What are the option codes for your order? You can find the link with the codes by logging in to your "My Tesla" page on the Tesla Motors web site, right clicking on the image of your car and selecting "Copy Image Address". Then you can paste your options into the option decoder (prolly a good idea to remove your reservation number)