Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble formed on screen ... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After replacing the IC and having to clean up a small amount of goo, I’ll do the main screen as soon as I see it start to bubble. That substance is really hard to remove and they’re are stories of SC not cleaning the goo very well.

until your screen does not work because of data logging.
bubbles are only cosmetic -per San Rafael Service tech. old MCU will most likely need replacement first due to software.

To clarify, I only have an instrument cluster issues so far - no center display leading to eMMC issues yet (knock on wood).

If it was me I would replace asap as the gooey stuff can make a huge mess since its leaking out of the bottom

Have people experienced leaks below the instrument cluster, or are you only referencing center displays leaking to the cubby?

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
To clarify, I only have an instrument cluster issues so far - no center display leading to eMMC issues yet (knock on wood).

Have people experienced leaks below the instrument cluster, or are you only referencing center displays leaking to the cubby?

The goo has to be going somewhere which will always be down so I wouldn't be shocked to see it somewhere below the ic

After seeing all of the above posts, I don't feel so bad about the comparatively small bubbling I'm experiencing. Still wondering if there's a way to prevent it from spreading?

The only thing I can advise is to keep cabin overheat protection on and try to park in a garage or covered area if you live in a hot climate. I currently have a bunch of bubbles on my IC but main screen is fine so far.

Has anyone refused to fix the screens and just let it all leak out? At least then the bubbles should be gone.

Maybe Tesla should try the UV unicorn thingy on it.

Are there any examples of newer cars with this problem?
Is there evidence that cabin overheat protection helps?

Tesla refused to admit my IC bubbles were due to excessive heat—they said it’s just something that happens with time. So therefore is no real evidence COP will help, just anecdotal evidence. The UV is for screen yellowing, not bubbles.
Also once it “all leaks out” of the main screen the touch capability is lost.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and TSLC
I replaced the IC screen myself. I bought a used screen off EBay for $240 shipped . I took the screen off the motherboard and married the new screen and old motherboard together. It worked very well and saved me about $1300 over having the SC replace the whole thing. I did a write up on it if you are interested. The whole thing took about 3-4 hours going slow and steady. I would do the main screen the same way if I start to get the bubbles. From what I hear, you may be able to buy the parts directly from Tesla now as well.

Reactions: kaidou and rsg123
I replaced the IC screen myself. I bought a used screen off EBay for $240 shipped . I took the screen off the motherboard and married the new screen and old motherboard together. It worked very well and saved me about $1300 over having the SC replace the whole thing. I did a write up on it if you are interested. The whole thing took about 3-4 hours going slow and steady. I would do the main screen the same way if I start to get the bubbles. From what I hear, you may be able to buy the parts directly from Tesla now as well.

I am interested in the write up

My car stays in a garage almost all of the time, and overheat protection has always been on for as long as the feature has been available. Both screens have had bubble issues. If you have the issue on one screen, the other one is probably not far behind; see if you can get them to replace both at the same time. I didn't do this, and am now out of warranty with a replaced center screen but a now bubbling cluster display.

The fix for bubbles is to replace the screen with the one that turns yellow around the edges instead. I guess that's better.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: rsg123 and Hank42
Sorry to wake this thread up, but yesterday after work (and after our third 100+ degree day in a row in NorCal), I was dismayed to discover bubbling on the top of my 17” screen. My car was sorted out by @EV-Fixme before the pandemic including bubbling IC repair. I thought I was just lucky that the 17” screen had been spared. I have ceramic tint on all windows including the windshield, COP activated, and use a sunshade daily. It seems like there’s a clear link to this problem and heat, but the SC continues to deny it.

I'd say there is clearly a heat/sun related issue. I've had a small bubble for months. Slowly growing at a pace that is almost not noticeable from week to week. I keep it in the garage at home and have covered parking at work (if ever I go back to the office). Mainly saying my cars don't sit in the sun much. Also have the IR Tint - the best I could locally (supposedly better than ceramic tint) find but have not done anything to my windshield.

Last week I sent the car to Tesla to get some work done and it sat outside in the Texas heat for 5 days. When I got the car back I saw the bubble was noticeably bigger than when I dropped it off.

Reactions: rsg123
I'd say there is clearly a heat/sun related issue. .

Last week I sent the car to Tesla to get some work done and it sat outside in the Texas heat for 5 days. When I got the car back I saw the bubble was noticeably bigger than when I dropped it off.

Same here - had a pea size bubble last week at the top of the screen and after a week of 90+ degrrr days, that pea grew into a fulls string bean across the top. It almost looks like one of those liquid motion toys:
upload_2020-6-25_13-17-14.jpeg