Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble in headrest, Tesla might be caused by interior cleaner/conditioner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a bubble form in my headrest. Mobile service replaced the headrest. The technician said it was replaced under “goodwill” but it might be caused by using a leather cleaner/conditioner. He said any type of propellant type spray on the seats could damage them, causing the fake leather to pull away from the under backing. I assured him only thing I’ve used is Griott’s leather conditioner and wipes. He said even that might cause damage to the fake leather. He asked me if anyone might use hair gels or hair spray, which could also potentially damage the fake leather. I assured him no one in my house uses that stuff.

Anyone have previous incidents of damage to fake leather due to cleaning with armor all or other type of products?

I checked owners manual. Here is what is says:
“Cautions for Interior Cleaning
CAUTION: Using solvents (including alcohol), bleach, citrus, naphtha, or silicone-based products or additives on interior components can cause damage.”

Now I’m going to have to be much more careful on what I clean the seats with.

1625591439792.jpeg

TL;DR I’ve only ever had problems with fake leather: cracking, wearing away, discoloring, etc. In general, it’s junk, like fake wood.

However, real leather is unsustainable at the level it’s demanded. I would love to see “fake leather” be retired in favor of recycled nylon or other reclaimed materials which sacrifice the appearance of being leather in exchange for increased durability and lower carbon footprint.

nothing to do with cleaner. multiple reports of this happening to a few users.
it must be a reaction to a chemical inside hairgel, hairwash, showergel etc.
TL;DR I’ve only ever had problems with fake leather: cracking, wearing away, discoloring, etc. In general, it’s junk, like fake wood.

However, real leather is unsustainable at the level it’s demanded. I would love to see “fake leather” be retired in favor of recycled nylon or other reclaimed materials which sacrifice the appearance of being leather in exchange for increased durability and lower carbon footprint.

from what i heard leather is sustainable as the demand for meat for outweights the demand for leather so a lot of hide never actually gets processed into leather...

Reactions: Bulldogge16
The lower outer bolster on my seat did the same thing. No cleaners, body oils, or hair products involved. In the attached picture, it looks more like wrinkles, but they started as bubbling/delamination of the faux leather.
PXL_20210402_181830540.jpg

Renton Service Center basically told me to pound sand because I'm not within the first six months of ownership, but I could pay for a replacement of the lower seat cover unit if I wanted it fixed.

The lower outer bolster on my seat did the same thing. No cleaners, body oils, or hair products involved. In the attached picture, it looks more like wrinkles, but they started as bubbling/delamination of the faux leather.
View attachment 682306
Renton Service Center basically told me to pound sand because I'm not within the first six months of ownership, but I could pay for a replacement of the lower seat cover unit if I wanted it fixed.
How much did they quote you for replacing the lower seat cover?

Surprised the vendors haven't come out with a low-cost cover to go over the headrest that can be easily discarded and replaced when it wears out. The fake leather is pretty cheap, so they should be able to make a nice fitted cover with the same stitching that blends in for a small fraction of a replacement headrest.

Surprised the vendors haven't come out with a low-cost cover to go over the headrest that can be easily discarded and replaced when it wears out. The fake leather is pretty cheap, so they should be able to make a nice fitted cover with the same stitching that blends in for a small fraction of a replacement headrest.

i dont think this is a common issue really. Only a few forum posts here. Makes me almost think its a manufacturing defect where the protective coating hasnt been properly applied. the head covers from aliexpress actually fit really well and look almost original but cant be purchased seperately.

I think the best way to deal with it is to ceramic coat a replacement if you dont like seat covers. can be done quickly as a DIY job and should last 1-3 years.