TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bubble on driver screen

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ModelSFL, May 30, 2017.

1. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I noticed people getting bubbles on the touch screen but I haven't seen anyone with this issue on the driver side screen. I noticed this few days ago and it seems every day the bubble moves around.

Has anyone experienced this? if so what was the fix?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

#2 Spidy, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

@Spidy To clarify, this is behind the steering wheel not the touchscreen.

• Like x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

You are the first the I've heard!

I wonder why it happens to Tesla while I haven't heard from others in computers, TVs, monitors, cell phones, tablets...

I hope you are still under warranty.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Agreed, the first time I've heard it happening on the driver screen. :(

6. ModelSFL

ModelSFL Member

I still have about 2k miles left on the 50k warranty so that is the good news. The local shop asked I send them pictures as they haven't seen it prior so they need to see how they would fix it. I wonder if it is heat related as we just got into the hot season..looks like it is 108 degrees in the car right now.

• Like x 1
  7. Tam

Tam Active Member

Some house their cars in garage and still, it happens.

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Can't say I've seen this issue with that screen either on any of the forums. That's a bit alarming to see bubbles in that screen too. I see you are in Florida. Curious what year your car is and if the car is parked outside during the day. In the meantime you should check out using the Cabin Overheat Protection to keep the car no hotter than 105F when you can. It's meant to keep kids and pets safe if left in the car, but we live inland and summer temps can get hot here too and I've been trying to remember to activate it every day when temps are up. You need to have sat in the drivers seat or driven that day (12 hours coverage, unless SOC is 20% or less). Look under climate control in your manual. BTW AC preconditioning, where you can set the temp from your app, only stays on for 30 min and then needs to be restarted each half hour.

Keep us advised what service ends up doing. Thanks.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

That's a new feature of the 8.1 UI. You're supposed to chase that bubble around with your finger, and if you do it just right, it will unlock a special easter egg that will give us a usable infotainment system.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Oh, interesting. The IC panel is just an LCD so there is no glass to delaminate like on the CID.

11. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Any chance there's a protective film on that screen, similar to iPhone screen protectors?