Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble on instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quoted $1600-$1700 to replace the instrument cluster through SC in Reno, NV... seems a bit much for small bubbles

Reel Deal no longer has these on stock. Any other sources that anyone may be aware of? Looking to get Gen 2 screen for a *reasonable* price. Thank you in advance.

Instrument Cluster to replaced bubbled, leaking Tesla Model S and X screen — Reel Deal

"***Note from July 9, 2020, Reel Deal EV regrets to inform you that we will no longer have Brand New screens for the unforeseeable future, these particular screens had stopped production over 5 years ago, and over the past 2 years our acquirement has become progressively harder and harder until it seems as if there are not any left. The good news is, we have demo screens that are used, but in almost new condition at a cheaper price, so we will continue to sell those until that market is depleted. We will also continue to dig thru all markets looking for Brand New Generation 2 screens, but it appears grim.***"

How about this one:

LA123WF1 (SL) (01) LA123WF1 SL01 Nieuwe Originele 12.3 inch Lcd scherm voor Auto Navigatie voor LG|display voor auto|inch lcdlcd display - AliExpress

Mine just bubbled. I will let you know what my estimate is.
4E614DA9-8B7C-4DE7-9826-EFB186327F8A.jpeg

I replaced mine with one from ReedDealEV. Not too bad of a job if you don't mind taking your car apart. The worst part was cleaning all the goo.

I later paid for the MCU upgrade, since the cost wasn't much more at the SC than replacing just the big screen. I didn't know that included in the upgrade was replacing the IC screen, or I would have put my bubbled screen back in for them - they kept my ReelDeal IC screen.

Reactions: uscgreel
I replaced mine with one from ReedDealEV. Not too bad of a job if you don't mind taking your car apart. The worst part was cleaning all the goo.

I later paid for the MCU upgrade, since the cost wasn't much more at the SC than replacing just the big screen. I didn't know that included in the upgrade was replacing the IC screen, or I would have put my bubbled screen back in for them - they kept my ReelDeal IC screen
Hi, Just wondering why did you upgraded to MCU2, for FSD?

No, I originally was only going to have them replace the bubbled MCU screen but was convinced for only a little more cost I could get the whole MCU2 upgrade. FYI 2013's don't have the sensors or cameras for auto pilot or FSD. I don't have parking sensors either.

No, I originally was only going to have them replace the bubbled MCU screen but was convinced for only a little more cost I could get the whole MCU2 upgrade. FYI 2013's don't have the sensors or cameras for auto pilot or FSD. I don't have parking sensors either.
Thats where I am torn too. The reeldealEV screen looks great but worried about changing and breaking something in the process plus risk of the infotainment screen might have same issues down the road

If you follow the instructional videos (there's one posted on the Reel Deal site), you aren't likely to break anything. So it really comes down to your comfort level with the work and how much your time is worth vs paying the service center. As far as the infotainment screen "down the road," it's unrelated to the IC screen - unless you have an older MS and are considering upgrading the MCU to get the IC screen replaced.

My 2014 S85 instrument cluster is delaminating around the edges just 1K miles past CPO warranty, at approximately 66,000 miles. Concurrently I have the car at the SC for a leaking pano sunroof which was misdiagnosed a few times as clogged gutters. After politely pushing the issue of how many times I reported the leaking they have agreed to cover the 3K cost of replacing the pano roof. I would appreciate any advice about mold or damage related to long term leaks. Anyway, I have been trying to get them to cover the delamination as possibly related to the leak, but they are firm on saying there's no connection. Do any of you have ideas on this?
I was quoted $1,597 for the IC. When I asked about doing it at the same time as an infotainment upgrade for a reduction in price, they let me know that the upgrade costs about the same AND includes a new IC (as I learned here after). Geez! Why not mention that without me having to ask?!? So I'm a wee bit pissed about that. I'm going to sign on to the list for possible class action referenced in this thread. Thanks for the DYI videos. I may eventually go that route. I don't want to wait too long as the glue could be oozing into everything back there.

I noticed people getting bubbles on the touch screen but I haven't seen anyone with this issue on the driver side screen. I noticed this few days ago and it seems every day the bubble moves around.

Has anyone experienced this? if so what was the fix?
I just brought my tesla 2013 S in for repair which they kept for about a month- when it returned I had a HUGE delamination occur. I wonder if somehow removing the screen and replacing it could cause it since mine is so huge - it is really BAD. thay want me to pay $900 for a screen replacment upgrade - for my infotainment system.

Just had our 2017 69k mileage Model X instrument cluster bubble. Mobile tech appointment for later this week. Still under warranty, so I expect it’ll be a free replacement.

FYI, appointment was made on a Sunday and the mobile tech came out that Wednesday to perform the repair. The repair itself took about an hour (give it take), then there was another hour or so while the car went through a firmware update.

So, if you’re under warranty, it’s a painless process.

My bubbles appeared in December on my 2012 S with 40K miles on it. Always in the garage. Sucks as I could replace it myself, I am just not up for the hassle. So it looks like a $1500 replacement or I can do the whole Infotainment package for $1500. I have been wanting to replace the MCU anyhow, so this just forces me to fork over the $$.
IMG_1835.jpeg

My bubbles appeared in December on my 2012 S with 40K miles on it. Always in the garage. Sucks as I could replace it myself, I am just not up for the hassle. So it looks like a $1500 replacement or I can do the whole Infotainment package for $1500. I have been wanting to replace the MCU anyhow, so this just forces me to fork over the $$.

You might want to hold off for a little bit longer since they are now making an MCU3, so hopefully the option to upgrade to MCU3 starts soon.

Mine started on 2015 S a month or so ago. Did I read right that the MCU upgrade to MCU2 includes the instrument cluster also?(I only uploaded one photo but three are showing up, mine is one near tire pressures)

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 70