Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble on instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 90D (83k miles) and garaged parked. In South Florida, had same issue on touchscreen display last year and now this year dashboard display. Starts like bubble however starts looking like burn marks on display. Have extended warranty scheduled for service.

Attachments

• 20220412_124011.jpg
    20220412_124011.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 122
I just had some bubbles appear on my screen - just under the time and at the extreme right edge of the screen.

My car is a Model S P85D which has had the Ludicrous upgrade. It was made in Dec 2014 and delivered in Jan 2015

I am no longer under warranty. Anyone know how much you have to pay to get the repair?

And I saw something about an MCU3 - is that out yet?

1656367674452.png

I just had some bubbles appear on my screen - just under the time and at the extreme right edge of the screen.

My car is a Model S P85D which has had the Ludicrous upgrade. It was made in Dec 2014 and delivered in Jan 2015

I am no longer under warranty. Anyone know how much you have to pay to get the repair?

And I saw something about an MCU3 - is that out yet?

View attachment 821887
I think you mean MCU2 upgrade? Yes, see here Infotainment Upgrade
I don't think you just want Tesla to repair this one cluster screen, it would be cost prohibitive. I did it myself for not much $$; I believe the details are in this thread ?
I was pondering the idea of taking my updated cluster replacement out and reselling it before upgrading myself to the MCU2, as I kept the old one with bubbles, but I don't think a few hours of work to do that is worth $100. Meh.
Nice tunes by the way :)

I think you mean MCU2 upgrade? Yes, see here Infotainment Upgrade
I don't think you just want Tesla to repair this one cluster screen, it would be cost prohibitive. I did it myself for not much $$; I believe the details are in this thread ?
I was pondering the idea of taking my updated cluster replacement out and reselling it before upgrading myself to the MCU2, as I kept the old one with bubbles, but I don't think a few hours of work to do that is worth $100. Meh.
Nice tunes by the way :)
Post 98 of this thread mentions MCU3 - so that's where I got that info: Bubble on instrument cluster

There is no way that I am going to take my own dashboard apart. It does seem like the cost is around $2000 or more. I wonder if it makes sense to have them replace this cluster screen and the MCU at the same time.

Post 98 of this thread mentions MCU3 - so that's where I got that info: Bubble on instrument cluster

There is no way that I am going to take my own dashboard apart. It does seem like the cost is around $2000 or more. I wonder if it makes sense to have them replace this cluster screen and the MCU at the same time.
If you get the MCU2 you get the cluster along with it, included in that price. Sorry, should have been more clear.

You are the first the I've heard!

I wonder why it happens to Tesla while I haven't heard from others in computers, TVs, monitors, cell phones, tablets...

I hope you are still under warranty.
I’m having the same problem noticed it about a week ago and it was only one now completely across top and about 6 single bubbles acros bottom please let me know what the fox is or what you find out

I have an early 2013 Model S. I reported the bubbles or screen delamination to Tesla but they claimed I'm out of warranty and out of luck. I love my car and the company, but this is clearly a systemic and progressive safety defect that should be on the company to repair and not a $3000+ charge to customers. Without fixing, eventually the car will become unusable and worthless. I've started collecting names of impacted owners for some king of joint action as I am afraid that is what it will take to get Tesla's attention. If you are concerned, please send the following information to [email protected]:
1. Date of purchase
2. Vin#
3. Warranty Status (in or out)
Date informed Tesla, and
Best Contact info
Dec. 30 2012 (delivery)
02932 (one of the first 3000 model s
out of warranty
have not informed
[email protected]

Mine started on 2015 S a month or so ago. Did I read right that the MCU upgrade to MCU2 includes the instrument cluster also?(I only uploaded one photo but three are showing up, mine is one near tire pressures)
Hey Trip, yes the upgrade to MCU2 will replace both screens because the cluster and main screens of MCU1 are separate.
MCU2 combines the UI, so basically for MCU2 the cluster acts as a split screen of the main. This means they're connected and cannot be individually replaced like they can for MCU1.

So other than possibly dripping goo, is there any down side to not replacing or fixing the bubbled instrument cluster?

Eventually the entire screen will have to liquid left on it.
Jedi, you're right in that it doesn't affect the function of the cluster.
The only thing I've noticed, that may or may not bother you, is when the sun (or other light source) hits the cluster directly, you can still see the portion of the screen that still has laminate, but the portion w/o cannot be seen. So while some of us can deal with the bubbling at the edges, I would find it difficult to be okay with if it were completely delammed.

Reactions: mrjedistud
Jedi, you're right in that it doesn't affect the function of the cluster.
The only thing I've noticed, that may or may not bother you, is when the sun (or other light source) hits the cluster directly, you can still see the portion of the screen that still has laminate, but the portion w/o cannot be seen. So while some of us can deal with the bubbling at the edges, I would find it difficult to be okay with if it were completely delammed.
Thanks for the response. Currently my screen is about 15% drained of liquid. I’ll keep an eye on it as it gets worse.

Thanks for the response. Currently my screen is about 15% drained of liquid. I’ll keep an eye on it as it gets worse.
Yeah, I just bought my '15 MS 70D less than 2 mo ago used from a dealership. I bought it with delamm already happening on the cluster. But researched the costs both Tesla done and DIY. I talked the salesman into "splitting" the Tesla cost ($1500), they lowered their asking by $750.
Once mine gets to the point where I can't live with it anymore, I'll DIY it for $200.
What I'm looking into is finding a replacement cluster that has been "wrapped". I've seen some that have the edges of the screen taped so that the laminate doesn't leak. Or do it myself if I find a cheaper replacement.

Yeah, I just bought my '15 MS 70D less than 2 mo ago used from a dealership. I bought it with delamm already happening on the cluster. But researched the costs both Tesla done and DIY. I talked the salesman into "splitting" the Tesla cost ($1500), they lowered their asking by $750.
Once mine gets to the point where I can't live with it anymore, I'll DIY it for $200.
What I'm looking into is finding a replacement cluster that has been "wrapped". I've seen some that have the edges of the screen taped so that the laminate doesn't leak. Or do it myself if I find a cheaper replacement.

Has the MCU already been updated? If not, that might be a good idea, especially if it has already been subsidized by $750.

Has the MCU already been updated? If not, that might be a good idea, especially if it has already been subsidized by $750.
No, it's still MCU1. I've thought about it and I'm gonna wait.
I just got her a couple months ago, my first TSLA, still learning. This site has been a great resource!
I'm a tinkerer. I do vinyls and such.
So far, I've covered my nose cone w/gloss CF, I've tinted my tail lights, PPF'd my headlights (transitions! Day= Smoke - Night= Clear). Blacked out the chrome. Swapped the interior wood trim for CF. Swapped interior lighting for brighter LED's (blue footwell, white trunks).
My headlights have been acting up and are pretty dim, so I've ordered replacement bulbs that I'll change out when they arrive.
Still have plenty of ideas to do, but I'm on a budget so I have to spread them out.
Would love to upgrade rims, but that's just not happening any time soon. Add a CF spoiler. Wrap the brake calipers.
And I have to save up for spring projects like window tinting, sun shades.

I realize if I held off on all these that I could get the upgrade. But I enjoy the process, always having something to work on.
The time will come when I'm forced to shell out for repairs/upgrades. But in the meantime I'm enjoying the journey.