TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bubbles and Billionaires

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Topspin, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Topspin

Topspin Member

#1 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    This

2. Benz

Benz Active Member

It's not important to show a profit, although a very small profit would be nice.

What's important is realising growth in every aspect of the company, the sooner the better.

Most of the money that comes in (and eventually would have been considered as profit) should be invested in the company in order to realise growth.

Time is more important than money.

Confidence in the company and it's products is vital. Therefore, the warranty should not be limited to a certain number of miles.

3. twan

twan Member

However, 8 years after a car's purchase, Tesla can record that car's warranty reserve as revenue.

4. Topspin

Topspin Member

#4 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014
    I think tesla

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

How much profit would satisfy you? Or how much profit do you think this public you speak of would need to see to satisfy them?

I actually think the 'important' public, that would be those who get what Tesla is trying to do, don't care nor do they expect Tesla to realize profit of any significance (if at all) for many more than two years - as in well into Model 3 production (5 yearsish+ depending on what next Tesla decides to do - like build Gigafactory 2, Gigafactory 3, R&D for new Roadster, pick up truck, home storage stuff, etc...)

Lastly, what bubble?

6. Topspin

Topspin Member

#6 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014

The

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Oh, the thirty billion market cap company turning a trillion dollar Auto Industry upside down and on its ear, and the thirty billion market cap company about to create a new trillion dollar industry called Home Energy Storage. That thirty billion market cap company?

Uh, huh. And I'm sure none of them are kicking themselves for not getting in at the IPO, or even the following year.

Again I ask, how much profit do you need to see? Or how much profit does the public you speak of need to see?

8. Topspin

Topspin Member

#8 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014
    As some of that comes to fruition

9. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

They've missed millions and millions and millions to date. Not sure where your confidence in them comes from, especially since it already is all coming to fruition. But hey, I'm sure there are quite a few people here who'd be more than happy to see them join club TSLA and push the price higher. Princess Tesla will be throwing her party at some exclusive, exotic location and all will be right in the world.

10. Topspin

Topspin Member

#10 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014
    Well

11. Benz

Benz Active Member

+ 1

Tesla Motors is not a bubble. It's real, and it's here to stay and to grow.

12. Topspin

Topspin Member

#12 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014

13. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

If they are successful, 5 years from now they will still be expanding. Building more GFs, opening more stores etc.. So that will put a damper on profits, which is actually a good thing.

On the contrary, in 5 years if they are not expanding and showing a small profit, i would consider that as a failure.

14. Benz

Benz Active Member

How much lower do you think you will be able to buy it then?

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Recommendation: Pretend he didn't use the word "bubble" (which is a bit charged and also implies an expected end result) and reevaluate if his points have some merit. Might be productive, might not, but it should help pull some emotion out of the discussion.

16. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I don't understand why people make stupid statements that are easily proven false. It is well known that Sergey Brin and Larry Page are investors in Tesla, and according to Forbes (googled just now) they are #19 and #20.

17. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Nothing wrong with emotion, though, I'm not seeing where it's over the top, therefore not understanding the need to address that point at all.

I'm still waiting for some hard data answers on those profits the public expects to see within the given 2 year time frame. The public I'm familiar with doesn't have the kind of profits being suggested are needed to prevent the bubble from bursting on their radar or their wish list.

18. RABaby

RABaby Member

If you are studying billionaire investors, you must be following Buffet. You see he just tossed hundreds of millions of dollars down a rat hole, as in good money chasing bad via GM? Do you consider that a wise investment? And Buffet is happy with his new Cadillac. Buffet is not as successful today as in his prime.

You can close your eyes and insulate yourself from many things when you have enough money. And you can lose a lot more money than those who follow your bad choices without feeling the effects of those losses while those following are penniless.

Most billionaires started businesses, and Elon continues to start billion dollar businesses. Investing in the businesses he starts is today's best avenue for those who aspire to wealth.

19. Topspin

Topspin Member

#19 Topspin, Aug 16, 2014
    thanks they are not in the top twenty billionaire investor group I track

20. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

#20 Chickenlittle, Aug 16, 2014
    I believe Walton's kids are in the top 20. Do you track those? Are they there for their investing skills or the birth lottery?

of course Mars family up there too. Do you track the matriarch