Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles and Goo ModelX Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 ModelX owner. Screen was great up until about 1 - 2 weeks ago. I mean not a scratch or anything which is why I immediately noticed the change. I just got it back out of service 3 weeks ago due to the “memory board” needing to be replaced from an 8g to a 64g which I think had to do with some sort of recall. I’ve only owned the car since June so I was unaware of the recall and learned the hard way when it completely shut down and I had to have it towed. That’s a story for another day. So, it was put in service and I got the vehicle back on dec 11th. Screen looked great, everything looked looked the same. About 2 weeks later there are three bubbles at the bottom of the display screen and a goo oozing underneath where the small open storage compartment is. Usually I put my keys, sunglasses, etc here….im constantly moving things here so I immediately noticed when I took something out one day. At first I thought it was me, cleaned the item off and moved on. When it happened again I investigated more. Removed everything and saw how much was down there….I’m pushing for them to fix this as this issue did not exist AT ALL prior to them swapping out this “memory board.” There response is this happens to older vehicles…..from what I can research I believe that this issue has something to do with hotter temperature weather but we are in winter, on top of that I’m in Cali…mostly 60 degree weather here. I find it absolutely hard to believe that this coincidently just so happened to happen 2 weeks after they messed with the computer/display…..am I crazy????

a) Hopefully they didn't swap out your entire MCU1 (with one they had laying around) instead of just replacing the “memory board”.
However, their website does indicate it should just be the memory board. I'm not 100% about this tho reading the below UK site (purple box).

b) I should add, however, that I did the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade on my '17 X and it was a huge improvement in many ways.
See: "What do I get when I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?" here: Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support Other Europe

Below: 8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions | Tesla Support
4yeC19p.jpg

cuHbtGX.jpg

Upvote 0
Even if they did somehow trigger the goo, it's a know issue that happens without warning, so no real way to prove they did it. I would recommend upgrading to MCU2 if the cost is doable. Both of your screens will be replaced in the process.
I did know that this was a possibility with an older model. And prided myself on mine not being a victim of it yet. However, their response was that this happens in higher temps and suggest I upgrade or get a new screen. They asked how I store the vehicle; garage, uncovered or underground….(as if whatever I said made a difference). I keep it in the garage at all times or atleast 99.999% of the time. But they still said it’s due to high temps…..I’m like then how is it happening now? If it’s not high temps right now the only other factor was them tampering with it when they did the service and if this was already an issue inside the screen from this past summer wouldn’t they have seen it when replacing the memory board and suggested a new screen or upgrade at the point of that service? Why leave it like that? With the amount of goo there’s no way they couldn’t have seen it…I was planning on upgrading just not at the moment (I’m in escrow), my issue is principal and accountability. No way this is a coincidence and I’ve come across other posts stating almost the same thing happened to others. Just so frustrating.

Upvote 0
a) Hopefully they didn't swap out your entire MCU1 (with one they had laying around) instead of just replacing the “memory board”.
However, their website does indicate it should just be the memory board. I'm not 100% about this tho reading the below UK site (purple box).

b) I should add, however, that I did the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade on my '17 X and it was a huge improvement in many ways.
See: "What do I get when I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?" here: Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support Other Europe

Below: 8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions | Tesla Support
4yeC19p.jpg

cuHbtGX.jpg
I really hope that’s not the case. I do plan on upgrading but I’m still disappointed in the lack of accountability and customer service I refuse to believe this was all a coincidence😒

Upvote 0
It’s super frustrating but the accountability you are looking for is likely not to come. Hate to tell you but I also want your expectations to be reasonable.

This is a known issue, their “fix” is to either pay for the MCU2 or upgrade your car…very rarely (early on in like ‘17/‘18) did they replace the screens for free. Sadly I think this will have to be chalked up to coincidence.

As you’re in escrow, let your business come to completion and upgrade as you previously intended.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
Tesla's customer service is a different story altogether. I agree with you 100% regarding them handling it poorly. I came from 10 years driving Mercedes to Tesla and the difference in the two company's approach to customer service is night and day. Mercedes may gouge you but they won't BS you to no end. At least that's my experience.

Upvote 0
This happened to our 2012 MS and it was always garaged and we lived in the Bay Area at the time. It just started happening one day. It's not necessarily environmental heat - the backlight creates a fair bit of heat and it is located directly on the seal.

There was a bunch of hoopla back then as they were initially making everyone pay for a full MCU replacement but then made just the screen available. I want to say it was like $1k? As others have said you could do the MCU2 upgrade and get a "free" screen replacement.

Sorry, Tesla was learning as they went back then (heck they still are) and frankly their long term reliability is a crap shoot. Some never have an issue and some are basket cases. My Roadster was rock solid and on its original PEM (inverter) when I sold it in the Fall of 2021 with 70k miles on it. Other cars had been through multiple PEMs.

Reactions: canasion35
Upvote 0