Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles/leaking glue MCU screen replacement question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So I got this problem as well and bubbles are starting to form on the edge of the MCU LCD:( As I understand, this process is irreversible and it will only get worse with time. I will try to fix it myself by replacing the screen with a used one from eBay/other sources. My question is - what year LCD should I be looking for and since what PN was this problem resolved? Current part number from tesla is 1084333-00-C, I found one PN# 1055075-00-L and it seems to be from 2018 more or less. Is it safe to assume the problem was fixed in 2018?

Thank you

20200907_134639.jpg
Yesterday, it was 116 degrees in my town and I noticed that my cabin overheat did not come on..... a few hours later I went to the srore and noticed these 3 bubbles in my instrument cluster..... since the car has over heat protection and is out of warranty, shouldn't tesla be liable for the repair???? I had a roommate that workes in tesla's solar department and he said they had to scrap a project because the heat was making the glue run and shingles were falling off houses....
There should be a recall on these instrument clusters, tesla deactivated
The cabin over heat protection, due to extreme heat wave conditions...

Hi All,

So I got this problem as well and bubbles are starting to form on the edge of the MCU LCD:( As I understand, this process is irreversible and it will only get worse with time. I will try to fix it myself by replacing the screen with a used one from eBay/other sources. My question is - what year LCD should I be looking for and since what PN was this problem resolved? Current part number from tesla is 1084333-00-C, I found one PN# 1055075-00-L and it seems to be from 2018 more or less. Is it safe to assume the problem was fixed in 2018?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20200907_134631.jpg
    20200907_134631.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 340
Yesterday, it was 116 degrees in my town and I noticed that my cabin overheat did not come on..... a few hours later I went to the srore and noticed these 3 bubbles in my instrument cluster..... since the car has over heat protection and is out of warranty, shouldn't tesla be liable for the repair???? I had a roommate that workes in tesla's solar department and he said they had to scrap a project because the heat was making the glue run and shingles were falling off houses....

Hi All,

Thank you

Yesterday, it was 116 degrees in my town and I noticed that my cabin overheat did not come on.....
It’s only active for the first 12 hours after you park your car, not continuously. Also requires battery >20%.

since the car has over heat protection and is out of warranty, shouldn't tesla be liable for the repair????
Of course not. “Out of warranty”, by definition, implies you are liable for any repair (although see my first point, I don’t think there’s anything broken to be repaired here).

tesla deactivated The cabin over heat protection, due to extreme heat wave conditions...
Lol, no they didn’t.

It’s only active for the first 12 hours after you park your car, not continuously. Also requires battery >20%.

Of course not. “Out of warranty”, by definition, implies you are liable for any repair (although see my first point, I don’t think there’s anything broken to be repaired here).

Lol, no they didn’t.

Yeah i get the 12 hours/20% battery..... i parked the car for 2 hours and had over 50% battery left....

Does anyone know what the MCU replacement cost from Tesla is?
My 2013 is leaking, while forming a large bubble around the edge.
I'm about to sell my car, and wondering
1) if anyone will buy it with a leaking screen
2) How much of the cost of the new MCU I can recover when selling. Other than the screen, the car is in perfect condition

2) How much of the cost of the new MCU I can recover when selling. Other than the screen, the car is in perfect condition

Infotainment Upgrade

But it may not be available for your car yet. Plus it removes AM/FM/Sirius.

You can buy a replacement screen and swap out the touchscreen itself.

My wife hadn’t even noticed the bubbles on our screen. Maybe just try selling it first.

If you’d like to be more honorable than that, show them the bubbles and let them do their own research on how bad that is. I sold my Audi TT once that I knew a synchro ring was failing on one of the manual transmission gears (remember that?) but told the potential buyers and they bought it anyway.

Last edited:
the screen is bolted from behind to the chassis of the MCU so it has to be removed and dissembled on a bench or table.
I just had mine out for an emmc upgrade and now two months and one heat wave later, bubbles have appeared across the top of mine. :(
It is funny because mine just started after MCU replacement as well. Have you been able to fix it ?