TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bubbles on Display

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by highedu, Mar 31, 2017.

1. highedu

highedu Member

IMG_5841.JPG Just saw these the other day, never noticed it before....anybody have any idea what they are or how they got there?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

#2 Tam, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Yes. I've heard some owners been reporting this issue from time to time.

It works fine as long as you have lots of towels ready to catch the slimy clear LIQUID leaking from the screen.

The screen technology is LIQUID crystal display.

So you've got to catch its LIQUID some day.

There's another alternative which is to have Tesla replace it for free under warranty.

If you are out of standard warranty, it's kind of expensive.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I'm not sure what Tam is talking about, but yes, older 17" touch screens on cars (I notice yours is Feb 2013) do have this issue from time to time. If your car is still under warranty (did you buy the extended service agreement?), it is a free replacement. I had this on my Model S for 6 months before doing anything about it - it didn't cause any problems.

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

If the problem gets worse, you might experience a leak from the the screen with a clear gel liquid substance which might ruin whatever you place below your 17" screen (sun glasses, important paper work...)

There's a complaint from 2015:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/gel-leaking-touchscreen

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Its a relatively common problem:
    bubbles on touchscreen

This does sometimes involve the screen actually leaking a sticky liquid under the shelf, so towels might be in order.

6. Fiver

Fiver Member

I got some at the top of my screen last fall. My car is a late 2013 build. Tesla replaced the screen under warranty.

7. highedu

highedu Member

I have the extended warranty so will pay the $200 copay and get it replaced.

Will probably wait 6-12 months so I get a display that will last a longer period of time.

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

There is a co-pay with the extended warranty? I must not have read the fine print!

9. highedu

highedu Member

Yes - it's $200 deductible

10. theheff

theheff Member

I had the bubble extend all the way around my screen in my May 2013 P85. The heat from summer definitely accelerated it. Had it replaced under extended warranty.

11. GreenT

GreenT Member

$200 ... and read your receipt when you get it. Unclear if it's per visit or per symptom.
    They have tried to charge me 3 times for same symptom and I had to fight like crazy to get a refund and then it took them almost 6 months.

12. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

You are better off replacing it sooner. There is a sticky, nasty goo leaking out the bottom of the screen and making a mess in that area. Eventually it will make its way down into the cubby.

Personally, I think cabin overheat protection was created at least partially to address this problem. So you won't need to worry about the replacement screen having the same problem in a couple years.

• Informative x 1
  13. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla evidently had some problems with some of the early touchscreen displays, possibly an adhesive problem on the touchscreen membrane on top of the display.

Anyone seeing this problem should get it fixed. If you're outside of the warranty, due to the number of touchscreen failures in the early models, hopefully Tesla will give some consideration to that and not charge you for the entire module - which is more than just the display.

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

$200 per visit.

15. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

The out of warranty cost has been reported to be 4500.

16. strider

strider Active Member

Not any more. Originally you had to replace the entire MCU which was $4,500. Now they offer a screen-only replacement for ~$1,200.

The current view is that heat is the culprit. The new screens have some extra felt tape in between the face of the screen and the metal trim that should help slow heat transfer from the hot trim to the screen.

17. rathjebaxter

rathjebaxter Member

Unfortunately the replacement cost out of warranty is $2,510 according to the Austin service center. And I am 6 months out of warranty!!!

I must say, this is the first time I have been disappointed in Tesla. If this was a known issue they should have been fixing it before it came up, not until what appears to be a desire to let them get out of warranty then charging $$$$ for it.

• Love x 1
  18. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Ask for them to fix it under good will. Tell them it's a design defect that should be covered out of warranty. Start with the service manager and go up from there until you get some satisfaction. These touch screens should not be failing like this and should have been properly designed for this application. The screen replaces important functions by knobs and switches which have a much, much longer life. How long is the replacement part warranted for, a year? What's the guarantee that the new part won't have the same issue in another 2-3 years?

• Like x 1
  19. demundus

demundus Member

2500 is too high. The cost is 1200 for the digitizer alone, and thats the only thing that needs fixed. Ask them what they are replacing, or post a picture of the service quote here and I'll find the proper part numbers (if i am able).

20. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

2500-3000 is the MCU. The screen by itself is less.