Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Manager replied to my email, its out of warranty. Sorry.

Can I expect this to fail again after the replacement is installed? Will I expect a similar thing with my Model 3 at some point? This just seems to be something that Tesla should own up on, its a major component of the car, and broke through no fault of mine or the rest of yours. This should be something Tesla fixes, and then pursues Panasonic over. This is more then annoying and though I wont leave Tesla, makes me re-think buying another.

Manager replied to my email, its out of warranty. Sorry.

Can I expect this to fail again after the replacement is installed? Will I expect a similar thing with my Model 3 at some point? This just seems to be something that Tesla should own up on, its a major component of the car, and broke through no fault of mine or the rest of yours. This should be something Tesla fixes, and then pursues Panasonic over. This is more then annoying and though I wont leave Tesla, makes me re-think buying another.

Very low documentation of issues post 2015 and post repair. Should be fine after. Trust me I was as annoyed as you with the "sorry" answer. I think they are just blitzing through it as an issue that was resolved and they'll get *sugar* for it for a couple years and itll go away.

Yes @demundus I read what others had got and I believe in the "It's not a problem, unless there is a solution" mindset. So I said to manager, that I would happily pay for LTE upgrade, as it requires removal of screen and all other items, similar to screen replacement, making the labor costs the same. The LCD itself should be covered by Tesla as it is an LG issue and such an integral part of the car should be expected to last. I said that I would expect a frame, motor and transmission to last much longer then the 4-8 year warranty and this should be no different, in the absence of neglect of misuse.

I also mentioned that I am days away from picking up a Model 3, and can I expect this on that car as well? I was firm, but understanding and really do appreciate the staff at my SC, I just firmly believed that this is a Service Bulletin and am not trying to scam my way to a free repair.

So I just joined the club. Bubbles a few days ago, and already slightly larger.

5.5 yrs and 130K miles in (not that mileage matters).

I'll let folks here know what my SC says...

This appears to be the only item that might be the correct part number for the screen in the new online Tesla parts catalog (appears reman):

SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN

1084333-00-A

I also note that my copy of the service manual (unknown year), does not appear to have a separate procedure for replacing just the screen, only the entire MCU.

So I had mine fixed on Monday of last week. I happened to go back to Tesla yesterday to pick up my 3 and when driving back home I noticed this at the Supercharger. Seriously I fixed the touchscreen and now the dashboard is doing it! Ugh this car sits in a garage all the time. Can’t win.

Attachments

• A6030BAF-550D-432D-A953-B3ED48D38727.jpeg
    A6030BAF-550D-432D-A953-B3ED48D38727.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 136
So I had mine fixed on Monday of last week. I happened to go back to Tesla yesterday to pick up my 3 and when driving back home I noticed this at the Supercharger. Seriously I fixed the touchscreen and now the dashboard is doing it! Ugh this car sits in a garage all the time. Can’t win.

First time ive seen it, although heard about it a few times... That sucks and I'm sorry it happened.

Noticed some bubbles at the top of my screen today—9/2014 with 62k miles, hot California climate. I had the LTE upgrade done about 6 months ago.
Not looking forward to the bubbles spreading.

thats how mine started.. just at the top.. it spread quite fast. if only theres a way to prevent it from spreading fast. either way thankfully i have warranty still, taking mine in on friday