Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an update. I bought a salvage MCU and replaced the screen myself. Cost me 1400 for the MCU (donor screen). Coulda let Tesla do it for about that, but it was the principle of the matter.

I am 99% certain the cause of failure is heat. I had several tablespoons of glue pooling below the screen, between the "phone cubby" and the large trim piece. Furthermore, I would go as far as to blame the trim pieces for the failure, as they get extremely hot in the sun and are in direct contact with a felt pat that surrounds the screen. Poor design unfortunately.

As an update. I bought a salvage MCU and replaced the screen myself. Cost me 1400 for the MCU (donor screen). Coulda let Tesla do it for about that, but it was the principle of the matter.

I am 99% certain the cause of failure is heat. I had several tablespoons of glue pooling below the screen, between the "phone cubby" and the large trim piece. Furthermore, I would go as far as to blame the trim pieces for the failure, as they get extremely hot in the sun and are in direct contact with a felt pat that surrounds the screen. Poor design unfortunately.

As I surmised upthread, alongside "saving pets and kids", the new cabin protection feature of v8.0 may also help cut down on these incidents.

As I surmised upthread, alongside "saving pets and kids", the new cabin protection feature of v8.0 may also help cut down on these incidents.

Not meant to be snarky, but at what cost? More stress on the A/C components? It's not zero sum. I don't need the car to turn on and cool itself off... while other cars dont have a 17" touch screen to deal with, no car maker has ever felt the need to cool the car off as a feature :confused:

Not meant to be snarky, but at what cost? More stress on the A/C components? It's not zero sum. I don't need the car to turn on and cool itself off... while other cars dont have a 17" touch screen to deal with, no car maker has ever felt the need to cool the car off as a feature :confused:

I don't take it as snarky to me. Just not something I can answer. I wonder what Elon would say if you tweeted him the question.

Having the upper limit for cabin temp to prevent unwanted and unintentional death is a cool idea, so kudos for Tesla for introducing the feature (and marketing it that way) as part of v8.

I also support the theory that the feature could be intended for more than one purpose, and can protect unwanted screen meltdown as well. Here's why: I think Tesla has trended in this direction, because I noted in my second year of ownership the fans in the center stack would trigger sooner and spin harder while the car was parked in the heat... than in the first year of ownership... the fans would be a barely perceptible hum in similar conditions. Perhaps some software release in 2015 or so had this "hard spin" feature coming down with it.. "Minor improvements and fixes" in release notes. Any other longer term owners notice this too?

Now, on to Model X owners got a windshield shade...

How about all Tesla get one of these to pull down over the center console to protect from sunshine hitting the area and overheating it?

blind.PNG

It's something you can do for $10. If I lived in Arizona, or similar and parked in the sun..I'd be doing this. Mounting the roller on the bottom side under the stack in the cubby area and pulling the shade up and over the console.. and figuring a nice way to tack the blink down in that position.

To be Tesla cool about it, get a motorized blind and wire it in conjunction with mirror folding... :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cyclone
Having the upper limit for cabin temp to prevent unwanted and unintentional death is a cool idea, so kudos for Tesla for introducing the feature (and marketing it that way) as part of v8.

I also support the theory that the feature could be intended for more than one purpose, and can protect unwanted screen meltdown as well. Here's why: I think Tesla has trended in this direction, because I noted in my second year of ownership the fans in the center stack would trigger sooner and spin harder while the car was parked in the heat... than in the first year of ownership... the fans would be a barely perceptible hum in similar conditions. Perhaps some software release in 2015 or so had this "hard spin" feature coming down with it.. "Minor improvements and fixes" in release notes. Any other longer term owners notice this too?

Now, on to Model X owners got a windshield shade...

How about all Tesla get one of these to pull down over the center console to protect from sunshine hitting the area and overheating it?

View attachment 196484

It's something you can do for $10. If I lived in Arizona, or similar and parked in the sun..I'd be doing this. Mounting the roller on the bottom side under the stack in the cubby area and pulling the shade up and over the console.. and figuring a nice way to tack the blink down in that position.

To be Tesla cool about it, get a motorized blind and wire it in conjunction with mirror folding... :p

A good idea, however as I said above, I am convinced that the failure comes from the trim pieces coming into contact with the screen. I noticed on new MCUs the felt liner is much beefer... time will tell I guess.

..these are good learnings, for preventative DIY... for people coming off warranty. It's not good for "time that tells" once your warranty has expired.

Maybe the message here is: beef up your felt liner around screen. Materials: obtain "felt tape" of suitable thickness (what.. 3 mm?) somebody find a source... McMaster Carr?

And share your DIY tips and techniques for doing do.

such as this, what I saw when they replaced my center computer (whole thing).
1. apply masking tape all along the aluminum "chrome" trim piece on passenger side dash, to firmly tape it to the upper dash. Use two passes of tape along the whole length. This is to temporarily "bond" the two which gives the aluminum trim piece strength and keeps its bend in proportion to the dash bend, when you do next step.
2. Ranger used a couple air bladder bags (hand pumped) (about $25 ea), slipped under the dash top to separate and lift the dash top off the dash "cabinet". This lifts the trim piece with it. Do this in a way that lifts the top uniformly, raising it like a loaf of bread rising in the oven. As opposed to lifting the dash from one end (far passenger side) in a prying motion up traversing across the top to the console... you'd bend the aluminum that way.

When you do this, you don't "irreversibly" bend the trim piece at its weakest points -- where it crosses the vertical trim pieces that surround the center screen. You'd never be able to bend the aluminum back to its original look once it is kinked there.

When you see them replace a computer in an hour, it's amazing how they've got this technique down for speed and protection of interior parts against any damage.

..these are good learnings, for preventative DIY... for people coming off warranty. It's not good for "time that tells" once your warranty has expired.

Maybe the message here is: beef up your felt liner around screen. Materials: obtain "felt tape" of suitable thickness (what.. 3 mm?) somebody find a source... McMaster Carr?

And share your DIY tips and techniques for doing do.

such as this, what I saw when they replaced my center computer (whole thing).
1. apply masking tape all along the aluminum "chrome" trim piece on passenger side dash, to firmly tape it to the upper dash. Use two passes of tape along the whole length. This is to temporarily "bond" the two which gives the aluminum trim piece strength and keeps its bend in proportion to the dash bend, when you do next step.
2. Ranger used a couple air bladder bags (hand pumped) (about $25 ea), slipped under the dash top to separate and lift the dash top off the dash "cabinet". This lifts the trim piece with it. Do this in a way that lifts the top uniformly, raising it like a loaf of bread rising in the oven. As opposed to lifting the dash from one end (far passenger side) in a prying motion up traversing across the top to the console... you'd bend the aluminum that way.

When you do this, you don't "irreversibly" bend the trim piece at its weakest points -- where it crosses the vertical trim pieces that surround the center screen. You'd never be able to bend the aluminum back to its original look once it is kinked there.

When you see them replace a computer in an hour, it's amazing how they've got this technique down for speed and protection of interior parts against any damage.

I manhandled my top trim (think MagLite instead of air bladder) and only slightly bent it in one place that isn't really noticeable. They definitely treat it gingerly though. The removal of the MCU was easy, I spent more time taking off the trim pieces than I did removing and replacing them MCU. :(

My bubbles JUST popped up today. TESLA THIS IS A PROBLEM!! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! 59xx build. No way in hell one of the main features on a $108,000 car should fail in 3.5 years. This has me really rethinking buying a new one next year like I planned.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
If you're in warranty you're golden.
That's the messed up part. I'm not. And it's frustrating that it's not covered due to mileage when mileage has no bearing on electronics. And there shouldn't be bubbles in a 3 year old screen. I have an 8 year old LG plasma TV in the game room that has never had a problem and cost a hell of a lot less than this 17" will!

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
That's the messed up part. I'm not. And it's frustrating that it's not covered due to mileage when mileage has no bearing on electronics. And there shouldn't be bubbles in a 3 year old screen. I have an 8 year old LG plasma TV in the game room that has never had a problem and cost a hell of a lot less than this 17" will!
My plight is decently documented. You can go nuts on your service adviser if you want, I was able to go up to the regional manager and get him to go half with me. Otherwise, try to snag a salvage MCU off one of these part out threads and separate the two halves if you're brave enough :(

Get some pictures out of the disassembled center stack and screen, along the edges... let's have a look at this.

Will do, I'll produce another YouTube Tesla Technician video for removing the MCU/Center Stack. It will be the foundation for LTE/4G and other videos that require that step.

I'm planning to remove my screen this weekend and send it to the company that I'm working with. "Hopefully" I'll have a place that can repair these screen for a couple hundred instead of a couple thousand....

A good idea, however as I said above, I am convinced that the failure comes from the trim pieces coming into contact with the screen. I noticed on new MCUs the felt liner is much beefer... time will tell I guess.

I paid Tesla once for this. If I have the same issue recurr in two years I will make it abundantly clear to them that it is unacceptable to have to replace the screen every 3 years and they will be paying for it.