Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent me a marketing email this morning saying, among other things, the following:

"Customer feedback in the last three years has helped us increase the reliability of our charging equipment and infotainment system, reduce braking noise and improve the fit and finish of the Model S interior."

In other words, thanks to the early adopters for helping to improve our product, which is now much more reliable... but for you early adopters who helped us so much, you're out of warranty now so too bad. I understand that every company has to draw a line on warranty somewhere, but Tesla is unique in that it did not properly field test many of these components and used us - early owners - to field test those components for the future betterment of the fleet. A touchscreen failure after only 50,000 miles in a car that is absolutely reliant on such a touchscreen is a company failure, in my opinion. Such core components should have been properly designed and tested to last at least 100,000 miles or more.

The email continues...

"In the last 12 months alone we’ve decreased reliability issues by half, and improvements have been made at no cost to our owners."

Wow, seems like they are finally copping to reliability issues. Except to owners who are just narrowly out of warranty, it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

For escalation purposes, the new head of worldwide sales & service is Jon McNeill. He is filling Jerome's shoes. Let's see if he is as responsive.

Mine is showing bubbles on the right side, probably about 4" high on the very edge. I probably noticed it somewhere around 70K miles, now have 81, I'm out of warranty.

At this point, it doesn't seem to affect anything, and is on the side so just a slight visual annoyance if you look for it. So, I'm not going to pay for a replacement until it gets worse and causes a real problem. Do you think it would still be smart to report to Tesla anyway? Can't hurt, right?

Mine is showing bubbles on the right side, probably about 4" high on the very edge. I probably noticed it somewhere around 70K miles, now have 81, I'm out of warranty.

At this point, it doesn't seem to affect anything, and is on the side so just a slight visual annoyance if you look for it. So, I'm not going to pay for a replacement until it gets worse and causes a real problem. Do you think it would still be smart to report to Tesla anyway? Can't hurt, right?

Steve, ask Nicholas if he will do this under good will. He's one of the most amazing service managers out there. If he can't do it, probably none of them can.

Today I did not get a goodwill fix. I also did not pay for it. Probably out of his hands, no biggy, but I'd like to escalate to NA service. Anyone have an email address I could send an email to about this?

I was told by service that they are drawing a line in the sand at exactly 50,000 miles regarding warranty issues, and that anyone who has any doubts should purchase the ESA. Have you escalated this to your service manager? From my understanding of Tesla's new communications policy, VPs and regional service managers will no longer respond directly to customer inquiries, but will instead send those inquiries back to the local service manager after discussing the situation.

If someone at 50,100 miles couldn't get good will on this, I doubt someone at 69,000 miles can. But let us know what happens!

If that's the case then I'm stuck. He asked me what I wanted to do about it and I told him I can't drop 3K on a screen like that. I guess its just frustrating how its happening in such a temperate climate, among various SoCal owners, and it isn't really related to mileage at all.

I also told him I could source one through my line of work, but he said they would only install new parts.

If that's the case then I'm stuck. He asked me what I wanted to do about it and I told him I can't drop 3K on a screen like that. I guess its just frustrating how its happening in such a temperate climate, among various SoCal owners, and it isn't really related to mileage at all.

I also told him I could source one through my line of work, but he said they would only install new parts.

Since you are out of warranty, but can source the display through your work, might someone at your work be willing to try and install it?

if it is not going to bee fixed on warrenty. then I would wait as long as it still works.
at some point there will be a new faster MCU with nvidas newer chip. it make sence to wait until this is availble and make the swap at that time.

Hypothetical:

If I got a complete MCU from a salvage MS. Same year, close vin. Could I remove and install this salvage touchscreen and have it work on the car? What do we think the "hurdles" are in this? Any DIY on how to remove it from the dash? There's an IHS video out there, but its only about 3-4 seconds you see them somewhat removing it.

Any input here is appreciated.

The major hurdle is that you likely need access to Tesla's proprietary software to configure the MCU and perform a firmware push. Otherwise, all sorts of things will be out of sync with each other.

True, I wonder if they would refuse to do it... or whether or not I could exist with the "as is" brain, meaning my car will probably think its the salvage car. Sort of an "out of body experience" twilight zone thing going on.

Bump for some funny info:

I reached out to a salvage parts supplier in my network and requested a quote on the MCU: $7K list!!!

I explained that Tesla would install a brand new one for $2900 labor included. And that 7K was incredibly steep. Further, the chances of electronic parts working across Teslas was extremely low, and it will most likely be an expensive paperweight, but I was willing to take that chance.

He "called the dealer, and I can do a better price but it won't be 2900, probably more like 4K"

So much for my idea anyway!