Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even off warranty, I think Tesla may do a goodwill.

The 17" screen is maybe the major attract feature to the brand and differentiator that the car has to offer, and it's the shiny face to the driver. Bubbles forming on it would be right up there with drive train issues and wanting to protect brand from those breakdowns.

Bubbles on LCD is not a new thing. Over time, many computers and phones have become victim to this.

I've seen examples in other non-Tesla vehicles, find them out there on google images.

Vehicle is a harsh environment for temperature, noise, vibration, etc... you need very tough components to survive it.

Even off warranty, I think Tesla may do a goodwill.

Sorry for being so jaded, but no they won't. I battled with Tesla and 3 different service centers for 6+ months on this issue. I was even told this hilarious soundbit:

"The screen's brightness level generates heat, meaning the screen is still a mileage related item"

I was so floored by that response I about lost my cool when I replied that "Tesla's feature auto adjusts the screen brightness for me, and has for awhile now".

If they do break down and decide to cover this outside the normal warranty, what will they do for all those they charged 3-5k to replace the screen?

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I don't think anyone has yet to repair the actual screen. There was a rumor of Tesla coming up with a "fix" but no actual timeline on it (per the SvC). Your only options are to do a screen swap (buy a salvage MCU like I did) or take it to Tesla. You might be able to wrap the screen with tape to keep it from leaking more, but one bubble means there's glue already pooling between the screen trim and the console cubby.

I don't think anyone has yet to repair the actual screen. There was a rumor of Tesla coming up with a "fix" but no actual timeline on it (per the SvC). Your only options are to do a screen swap (buy a salvage MCU like I did) or take it to Tesla. You might be able to wrap the screen with tape to keep it from leaking more, but one bubble means there's glue already pooling between the screen trim and the console cubby.

My bubble is at top, not the bottom.

Where did it displace the glue to? Had to go somewhere....

Doesn't matter where the bubble is, its pushing the liquid out of the screen, and most likely (due to gravity) it is going down.

This assumes that the space between the outer plastic and the inner display is constant. Poor assumption.

I have taken the MCU out, and the glue is not "seeping" out anywhere.

More than likely there is a tiny opening at the top allowing air in, and when the car gets hot from being parked in the sun the glue heats up, becomes less viscous, and the space between the outer glass and inner display allows air in through that small hole.

Step one complete. I've removed my screen from the car and boxed it up. I will be shipping the screen to a commercial repair company in the morning. I'm praying that they will be able to repair the screen for a fraction of what Tesla wants for an entire new MCU. I reinstalled the MCU in the car once the screen was removed and it appears to be working fine with only one error message.

IMG_2989.JPG.jpeg IMG_2988.JPG.jpeg

Not good news from the leading LCD touch screen repair company in the US.

the fluid that is leaking is glue. unfortunately, the touch screen can not be separated from the LCD and the LCD is not available. our service manager suspects that this may be an ongoing issue with this product. the only solution may be going back to Tesla.

Not sure what options I have left, $2300 to Tesla is just not reasonable.

This assumes that the space between the outer plastic and the inner display is constant. Poor assumption.

I have taken the MCU out, and the glue is not "seeping" out anywhere.

More than likely there is a tiny opening at the top allowing air in, and when the car gets hot from being parked in the sun the glue heats up, becomes less viscous, and the space between the outer glass and inner display allows air in through that small hole.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
the fluid that is leaking is glue. unfortunately, the touch screen can not be separated from the LCD and the LCD is not available. our service manager suspects that this may be an ongoing issue with this product. the only solution may be going back to Tesla.

Last edited:
Not good news from the leading LCD touch screen repair company in the US.

Not sure what options I have left, $2300 to Tesla is just not reasonable.
Your other option is to buy a salvage MCU and swap the screen (the piece you sent to the repair company). You might get away with this for much less, then have a spare computer to play with or resell. This is cheaper than the 2300. Additionally, if you argue enough, you might get the half off deal as I did.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I wonder if adding a screen protector would help the problem from occurring?
I have an hunch based on my experience with this screen:

The heating of the screen isnt from direct sunlight or ambient temp, rather, the trim pieces that surround it. They come in contact with little felt liners around the outside of the screen. I think these felt liners aren't doing enough to insulate the heat coming off the metal trim (it gets REALLY hot sometimes). I noticed on my newer touchscreen that the felt was beefier than my original screen, I can only hope this was in response to this issue.

Your other option is to buy a salvage MCU and swap the screen (the piece you sent to the repair company). You might get away with this for much less, then have a spare computer to play with or resell. This is cheaper than the 2300. Additionally, if you argue enough, you might get the half off deal as I did.

The only issue with buying a salvage part is that the issue is likely to rear it's ugly head again. It's just a matter of time. You could potentially go through 2 salvage screens for every 1 brand new screen. Obviously the newer salvage part, the better.

My 2013 LCD has started to bubble a few months back and is getting bigger. I'm still under warranty so I'll have them replace it at my next service appt.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18