Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that Tesla isn't going to help you with this. That is to say you'll give them the car with your dash fully assembled and they'll give it back fully assembled. I wouldn't think they're going to pull the chip for you or give you access to it while it's half apart for you to get it.

Yes, I was going to just get the parts and do the whole job myself - I know they aren't going to let me take the tegra off midway through replacing the screen if they're doing it.

I think my car has already had a new IC (before I bought it) as its a pre-AP car but has the nice hi-res IC, and so it probably has a bit of time before the bubbles appear (plus it doesn't get as hot there as on the main screen) but you're right that I'd be annoyed if the IC did go after shelling out a lot of money on fixing the 17".

I think I'm heading in the "see how long this one will last, then go for MCU2 when it dies". best start putting some money in the savings account!

I bought a CPO (certified previously owner) 2015 Tesla S from Tesla. I am still under warranty but the online service tech told me that the bubbles are not covered under warranty. They stated that the issue was "cosmetic". They were going to charge me $900 to fix it. After reading this thread, I am planning on calling Tesla to find out why it is not under warranty.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I bought a CPO (certified previously owner) 2015 Tesla S from Tesla. I am still under warranty but the online service tech told me that the bubbles are not covered under warranty. They stated that the issue was "cosmetic". They were going to charge me $900 to fix it. After reading this thread, I am planning on calling Tesla to find out why it is not under warranty.
I nearly bought a used car from a guy who had the same warranty. He got his fixed under that warranty.

One thing to note is that MCU2 is, afaik, $1500 so probably better to get that upgrade than to just get the screen replaced for $900 if you can't get anywhere on warranty coverage

I got my main touchscreen covered under the CPO warranty as well, and it was just one slight bubble that popped up. And that glue that is leaking is conductive, so if any of it gets into the circuits behind the screen it won't be good news.

I now have an appointment to change out my IC screen that is having the same issue (and much worse now), which is also covered. Try contacting another service center in your area; I've seen service levels vary dramatically between service centers in the same city.