Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbles / specs on all the windows.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1AC75104-9F22-4894-B090-AA97BFE7A711.jpeg
1E8EFD95-4E91-4DC8-A9CF-221D9D8113E0.jpeg
Hi guys, my new M3 (One week old) has specs on all the windows, especially bad on the windshield. It looks like an windshield that has been pitted from thousands and thousands of winter driving miles. (Essentially sand blasted by the sand on the roads). I’ve tried scrubbing the windows and whatever it is seems to be imbedded in the glass. If you zoom in on the pictures they actually appear to be bubbles. The front is so bad that a sudden lighting change such as going under an overpass will trigger the automatic wipers every time. Anybody else have windows similar to this?

• Funny
Reactions: SlimJim
View attachment 523497 View attachment 523498 Hi guys, my new M3 (One week old) has specs on all the windows, especially bad on the windshield. It looks like an windshield that has been pitted from thousands and thousands of winter driving miles. (Essentially sand blasted by the sand on the roads). I’ve tried scrubbing the windows and whatever it is seems to be imbedded in the glass. If you zoom in on the pictures they actually appear to be bubbles. The front is so bad that a sudden lighting change such as going under an overpass will trigger the automatic wipers every time. Anybody else have windows similar to this?

Looks like you might want to re-visit the place where you picked it up.

Okay, so after looking closer at the car, whatever it is is all over it, it literally feels like sandpaper.
I didn’t notice it on the paint in the dark and never ran my hand over the paint to feel it.

I tried scrubbing the windshield with glass cleaner and paper towels, didn’t make a difference whatsoever.

Maybe whatever it is will come off, but certainly not with conventional means.

I tried taking it to Tesla here in Vegas where I’m at for the time being but the store is closed to the public.

View attachment 523497 View attachment 523498 Hi guys, my new M3 (One week old) has specs on all the windows, especially bad on the windshield. It looks like an windshield that has been pitted from thousands and thousands of winter driving miles. (Essentially sand blasted by the sand on the roads). I’ve tried scrubbing the windows and whatever it is seems to be imbedded in the glass. If you zoom in on the pictures they actually appear to be bubbles. The front is so bad that a sudden lighting change such as going under an overpass will trigger the automatic wipers every time. Anybody else have windows similar to this?

Did you just notice this? Was it there when you picked up the car?

My SR+ was delivered here in Ohio last December. Same problem with the windshield. Tesla refused to replace it. Could not see the problem at first. Not until the sun was low on the horizon. Had to make an Insurance claim. The only thing I could find online was an idea about rail dust. This car is awesome and the new glass is perfect.. Good luck

We noticed the windshield and I thought it was just junk on it but realized it was more than typical junk when I couldn’t scrub it off. I didn’t notice it when I picked the car up. My delivery literally consisted of sign here and here’s the key (credit cards) I’ll unplug it for ya. Have a great day! (I truly spent less than 5 minutes taking delivery of the car)

Have you had the chance to inspect the paint in the daylight yet ?

Ya, its all over the entire car. The whole thing feels like sandpaper. I haven’t tried a clay bar or anything and frankly, don’t feel that is my responsibility. I’m still within my 7 day return window and am seriously considering using it. I also am one of the lucky ones who paid $2,000 for the acceleration upgrade last Saturday and still haven’t received it.

Ya, its all over the entire car. The whole thing feels like sandpaper. I haven’t tried a clay bar or anything and frankly, don’t feel that is my responsibility. I’m still within my 7 day return window and am seriously considering using it. I also am one of the lucky ones who paid $2,000 for the acceleration upgrade last Saturday and still haven’t received it.

Having lived through accepting a car with several paint defects (eventually fixed, but took 3 months), I would return it....

make sure you 1) raise it in the app 2) contact all the Tesla service people at the delivery and sales center and tell them you're invoking your 7 day return. Its up to them to take the next steps. If you don't do it in the 7 day window, you never can. Even if you go back and they try to fix it, at least you've invoked it.

I've seen something like this when parking under a certain tree at a certain time of year. It must have started budding and making hundreds of tiny little sap explosions which rained down onto the car, or something like that. This is, of course, most likely in the spring. A possibility in your case, OP? Maybe a detailer has tips/tricks?

Okay, so after looking closer at the car, whatever it is is all over it, it literally feels like sandpaper.
I didn’t notice it on the paint in the dark and never ran my hand over the paint to feel it.

I tried scrubbing the windshield with glass cleaner and paper towels, didn’t make a difference whatsoever.

Maybe whatever it is will come off, but certainly not with conventional means.

I tried taking it to Tesla here in Vegas where I’m at for the time being but the store is closed to the public.
griots garage glass clay
Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay, windshield glass clay, detailing clay bar, auto glass clay

If it's all over the car, glass and paint, it's tree sap. You need tree sap remover.

Do a search on tree sap on car, and you'll see tons of pics of cars with tiny and some not so tiny specs coating the car.

Sounds like you got it that way, but always try to avoid parking under a tree, particularly maples, birches, etc.

Reactions: dmurphy
I don’t see how it could be that considering the car is only a couple weeks old. The car was built, put on a truck and delivered to Salt Lake where I picked it up the next day. I’ve been in Vegas and not parked under trees since.

What would clean it off if it is?