Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbling headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience issues with the vegan leather, any bubbles in seats or headrests. This just popped up overnight.

I've booked a service appointment, but looking to know if anyone else has experienced this and if warranty covered it. I know nothing was spilled on it

Attachments

• 20200210_132226.jpg
    20200210_132226.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200210_132222.jpg
    20200210_132222.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 131
given the position it seems likely that it is a reaction to something on the head or head wear of someone who has sat in that seat.
Does that make any sense in the context of who drives it and what they might have on their head / hair?
I would expect Tesla to say the same I'm afraid :(

What's Soul Glow? I wouldn't use much "product" other than shampoo

It's probably not for you then.

For clarity:
- I now see the correct spelling is "Soul Glo"
- I'm a child of the 80s. It's from "Coming to America"
- my suggestion is unlikely to help fix, or indeed diagnose, the problem with your Tesla!

On your actual problem, I haven't anything useful to add but it's surely got to be a warranty issue. I have seen far more good news stories than bad about tesla doing things under warranty. Best of luck with it.

Last edited:
Anyone else experience issues with the vegan leather, any bubbles in seats or headrests. This just popped up overnight.

I've booked a service appointment, but looking to know if anyone else has experienced this and if warranty covered it. I know nothing was spilled on it
There is a thread somewhere about this and lots of people are having these issues as well.

If i remeber it is something to do with hair products that maybe causing it?

I'll see if i can find the thread for you

Found one of them:

Tesla Model 3 headrest bubbling big time : TeslaModel3

Reactions: Krazymuthafuka
I'm guessing that since the seat material is some sort of synthetic thing (aka plastic/polymer), it's susceptible to damage from organic solvents. That could extend to certain oils. Hair products will certainly contain those type of chemicals so I'm guessing that's the problem here.

Of course, it's not reasonable for a headrest to not cope with hair products, but I suspect Tesla's initial reaction will be to blame the customer. You'll probably have a fight on your hands I'd say.

When I drive I don't actually rest my head on the head rest I see it more of a backstop in case of an accident. Is this true for most people? maybe this has to do with how you use it ? do you actually rest your head on it a lot? Not saying that makes it your fault but maybe it is the difference between why yours has done this and others have not?

Reactions: Jez_GB
When I drive I don't actually rest my head on the head rest I see it more of a backstop in case of an accident. Is this true for most people?
My head is in solid touch with the headrest in my ideal driving position.

Helps communicate the car’s motion directly, quickly and accurately to my inner ears.

Long trips are less tiring. Keeps my head steady - less stress on my neck and shoulders. Also less eye strain since they don’t have to accommodate constant small head movements.

I am not prone to motion sickness but I suspect it’s worse when the head is constantly bobbling back and forth, side to side.

When I drive I don't actually rest my head on the head rest I see it more of a backstop in case of an accident. Is this true for most people? maybe this has to do with how you use it ? do you actually rest your head on it a lot? Not saying that makes it your fault but maybe it is the difference between why yours has done this and others have not?

Funnily enough I was thinking about this on a drive home (was a very boring journey). For me, it's uncomfortable to rest my head on it as it involves arching my neck back and without being able to adjust the head rest (correct me if I'm wrong and you can) it must just be protection in an accident. I then started looking at other drivers to see if they use theirs and not a single person did (probably only looked at 6-7 ppl and then stopped as I was getting weird looks).