Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Budget cooler for Model Y sub trunk found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!
Just thought I'd share a little success story. I was wanting a simple cooler for the Model Y (2023) rear sub trunk that wasn't a mega insulated $200 "investment" No. I just want to keep some groceries cool and the trunk clean for the ride home from the store. I started my search by trying to get dimensions online of all the igloo coolers available at Walmart/targets. Hoping to just hit a home run with a little web browsing beforehand. Well, my "rough" measurements got me close ... on an Igloo 35 quart 2 wheeler. But when I got to Walmart and saw it in person it looked a bit small. So I got one larger (and no wheels) - the Igloo Laguna 48. $25 at Walmart. It fits perfectly. Hope this helps someone!

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9308.jpg
IMG_9309.jpg

Exact same cooler I have been using for about a year now. Met what I thought was a nice family at a camp site until I realized when they were leaving that they are the kind of rich A-holes that abandon much, sometimes all of their equipment when they get done camping. Their brand-new igloo 48-quart cooler was one of the items they were leaving next to the trash can on their way out. When I (confusedly) asked why they were leaving it they said that they use almost all brand new gear each time they camp. If it rains while they are camping, they just abandon the tents without even taking them down, because it is too much trouble to dry them out for storage... I am not a trash picker by nature, but it was literally brand new, still had the sticker and hadn't been left with anything nasty in it. I couldn't stand to see something like that go to a landfill.

Keith

how about this one:

expensive but says it only uses 0.5 kw/day ?? seems unreal

• Informative
Reactions: iPlug
how about this one:

expensive but says it only uses 0.5 kw/day ?? seems unreal
At $418 it doesn't quite meet my "budget" criteria :)

Hello!
Just thought I'd share a little success story. I was wanting a simple cooler for the Model Y (2023) rear sub trunk that wasn't a mega insulated $200 "investment" No. I just want to keep some groceries cool and the trunk clean for the ride home from the store. I started my search by trying to get dimensions online of all the igloo coolers available at Walmart/targets. Hoping to just hit a home run with a little web browsing beforehand. Well, my "rough" measurements got me close ... on an Igloo 35 quart 2 wheeler. But when I got to Walmart and saw it in person it looked a bit small. So I got one larger (and no wheels) - the Igloo Laguna 48. $25 at Walmart. It fits perfectly. Hope this helps someone!

View attachment 924097

View attachment 924093View attachment 924095
Thank you! So economical and simple, and doesn’t involve draining battery. Does this fit in the refreshed X sub trunk or does anybody know of a similar option?

And I’m also looking for the one piece of roof shade that covers the upper half of the windshield to block the heat/sun, also for the refreshed x, have looked everywhere but could not find.

Hey quick question .. does it fit in the front trunk ? and if not how much does it stay open
The Coleman Chiller Series 16qt is a great option for the Model Y frunk. You can actually fit 2 in if needed, it takes up less than half the area, so you have room for other stuff. Our frunk seems to stay cooler than the trunk area, so it is a great place to keep the cooler. $22 at Amazon

1692497357113.png

Hello!

View attachment 924097

View attachment 924093View attachment 924095
Thanks for that tip! Bought one of these for my mylr today at Walmart on sale for $25! I'm sure the cooler won't hold ice but so long but worth every penny for the period of time I'll use it and perfect fit!