Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Budget" Paint Correction and Sealant.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a new MS in Deep Blue coming in tomorrow (don't worry I'll post pics). I'm picking up in the factory and local to the bay area.

I am leasing it for business reasons, however, I really want a paint sealant to make it easier for maintenance. With that said, Since my lease is about 3 years, it makes no sense for me to invest in a sealant with a warranty over that period.

What is a good option? Considering my color I want high gloss and ease of washing. The quotes I've gotten for Opti-Coat and Cquartz were ~ 1500. I considered it but it didn't make sense considering I don't plan to keep the car over 3 years.

Is there an alternative?

The coatings are snake oil. Just my opinion but lots of folks in here like to spend money. Garage it, cover it, dust it (lightly) regularly if it hasn't rained and only wash it when it really needs it. Worked well for my 16 year old S2000. The paint looked new when l sold it a few months back.

https://goo.gl/photos/DWBN2UjivANWnnR2A

So I have a new MS in Deep Blue coming in tomorrow (don't worry I'll post pics). I'm picking up in the factory and local to the bay area.

I am leasing it for business reasons, however, I really want a paint sealant to make it easier for maintenance. With that said, Since my lease is about 3 years, it makes no sense for me to invest in a sealant with a warranty over that period.

What is a good option? Considering my color I want high gloss and ease of washing. The quotes I've gotten for Opti-Coat and Cquartz were ~ 1500. I considered it but it didn't make sense considering I don't plan to keep the car over 3 years.

Is there an alternative?

Last edited:
You may want to have a good look at artsci's Permanon thread as referenced above.

Alternately, C-Quartz has a 3-year warranty and is less expensive than Opti-Coat Pro.

It may come down to whether you plan to wash the car yourself or have someone else do it. If you wash the car yourself every couple of weeks, then the periodic application of the Permanon or similar after an initial effort may not be objectionable. If you don't have a bucket or microfiber towels at the moment, then maybe find someone to do it instead.

I can say that having Opti-Coat Pro has made interim cleanup from avian strafing much less difficult. Caveat being that I live in a reasonably hostile non-garaged environment.

That said, the Permanon in @artsci's thread as evidenced by his pictures is nothing short of stellar. The only question now is how it holds up over time. My next Tesla, (after obligatory paint correction), is quite probably going to get the Permanon treatment.

None of the above addresses paint *correction*, however. Depending upon how correct you want it, that may a job best left to the professionals prior to applying the coating of your choice.