TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buffalo Supercharger Updates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Tedkidd, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

East Rochester has that defunct Acura dealership building. Nice size, could probably be had for a song. less than a mile from Pittsford, and Brighton (which may have more Teslas...)

2. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

That would be great. We travel to that area with some frequency. My son and his family live in Fairport. Would sure be closer than Lyndhurst, OH.

3. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Then you may be familiar with the building? Beem vacant for a few years now:
    Google Maps

Any ideas on how to promote this idea?

4. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

I've heard references to a Tesla SC team that people sent emails to. No personal experience. I suspect that Tesla Motors does monitor the boards.

5. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

I tried to use the SC today around 3:40PM and noted some sort of accident on Transit Road just south of the stoplight controlled entrance to the Eastern Hills Mall. The stoplight in question was out. I turned into the mall to bypass the road blockage and made my way to the SC where I noted the illuminated, "Tesla" was dark as was the Key Bank sign. Hopefully the SC will be up when the local power is rstored. And yes, I did try to charge.

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Nightmare scenario for a road trip. I once had this impact an ICE road trip in the 80's, no power no gas as well.

7. etm33

etm33 Member

Last night at 630 they were still out. Just drove past and they are back in business now.

8. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I know we've discuss this multiple times before; it would be great if tesla would provide real-time status updates on the SC network on the car's nav. In this case if you set a route that used the Buffalo SC, it should tell you that it's temporarily out of service.

9. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Anyone jammed up by this - I know it's not much help, but just across Main Street is the Mercedes/Smart dealership. They have a couple AC evse's. Not sure how many amps - but the B class has a 10kw charger so they may have a 40 amp in the back.

10. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

I'm still listed on Plugshare with my 19.6 kW HPWC. No one called. Glad to see the SC was up today. I plan to top off on the way to Cleveland (Macedonia). Nice to know there is a HPWC in Geneva, OH at the Qwik-Fill - J&B Jerky Outlet if I need a short boost. At least until we get an Erie Supercharger.

11. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Visited the SC today and found the front gate of the enclosure open, the lock on the ground apparently broken off from the baseplate. I called Tesla to notify them of the situation and was told they would send someone from their SC team. The SC was fully functional.
    Open gate.jpg Lock Baseplate.jpg Lock Details.jpg Lock.jpg

12. etm33

etm33 Member

Wind damage? Seems unlikely that someone would break in and then not take advantage...

13. andrewket

Perhaps someone found nothing of immediate and portable value, and decided getting electrocuted wasn't forth it.

14. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Gate is still wide open as of Wed. PM.

15. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Three days later...

It's a good thing there's nothing dangerous in there, like high voltage electricity. We wouldn't want to see Tesla leaving themselves vulnerable to any sort of negligence lawsuit if something unfortunate were to happen. Luckily that kind of thing never happens at Superchargers, right?

Oh. Wait...

16. shelbri

shelbri Member

Cabinets are locked and should not be accessible to cause a dangerous situation. Issue is more around damage to the equipment itself but vandals.

The incident you are referencing happened to an electrician presumably with access to inside of cabinets. Let's not create an issue that doesn't exist.

17. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

#397 Andyw2100, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    The cabinets are one lock less secure than they should be, and have been that way for several days. Someone seeing the broken lock, and the open door might be more tempted to "mess around" with the cabinet than they otherwise would be, especially since they could get inside, shut the door behind them, and be out of sight. They couldn't do that if the lock on the outer door were in place.

Edit: Thinking more about this, in light of the fact that Tesla has not acted on the information after having had it for several days, do you think it would be wrong if a local or someone passing through were to secure the door with a $3 combination lock and call Tesla (first) to provide the combination? Seriously, I'm wondering what people think of the ethics of this? The risk is that somehow it inhibits someone from Tesla being able to add the correct lock when they do show up because somehow the information about the combination lock is not communicated to them properly, and they also do not have a tool to cut the combination lock off, and can't easily obtain one. The upside is that the area is secured for the time it would be unsecured until Tesla acts to secure it again. Thoughts?

18. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

Securing the door would require installing a new base plate portion of the lock hasp itself. At that point, the person doing such a repair would probably incur some level of liability should there be a subsequent issue with the unauthorized repair.

19. shelbri

shelbri Member

To remove the temptation to enter, perhaps someone could close the door and place a rock in front to prevent the wind from blowing it open again. I don't think putting a lock on it is worth the effort. If someone wants to get in it appears fairly easy to scale the walls.

20. andrewket

A rock, wire tie, etc seem like better options to me.