Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or 253/15 in Rochester. Hotel and restaurants, right next to thruway, and easy on/off for those not familiar with the area.

That is not bad either. However, in light of trying to support longer distance driving, something that allows for Albany to Buffalo travel would make sense to put them between cities. Such as Senaca Falls and Utica. If one is put in Henrietta, it could become the source of power for regular local commuters. Sure, it may sell more cars too, but not sure if that is the intention. Single 2-head SC or even one 80A HPWC at the Thruway rest stops isn't a bad idea either.

But hotel-located HPWC is probably the best way to grow infrastucture since this may bring in revenue for the hotels for an overnight stay. Just pull in, get your room key, ask for them to enable the HPWC for you, park and charge. And, of course, really this should also include J-1772 at 30A in addition since hotels should support all EV brands out there.

A friend took this picture. There appears to be NO activity at the Buffalo site.
No way they have an operational station this year.

image.jpg

yea.. I doubt this site will be anywhere close to up and running even till end of Jan. The impression I had was that Tesla will ramp up supercharger installs in north east in november and december... guess not.
@jrreno.. thanks for the pic!

There are a lot of excess parking lot areas near the Boulevard Mall, near the corners of Sheridan and NF Blvd. i wonder if places like that could be used. Galleria area and Walden Ave. seems appropriate near the highway. I guess ownership of such locations need to be on board with it and offer long term leases on access and electrical supply zoning, etc.

I sent an email about this location recently and here is the generic response I received:

Thank you for your email and feedback. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open this site as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.
There are a couple HPWCs at the Comfort Inn Fallsview in Niagara Falls. You can find a map of all HPWCs available to the public here.
We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.
Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Hey Cwave1 - thanks for sharing this update. I would really love this to happen before spring break. I'm hoping they already started construction. Permit was issued a while ago so why wait? In Utica NY it turns out the site is nearly done and nobody even knew where it was until yesterday. Like a nice surprise ...

Buffalo and Erie would be super awesome to have lit up in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

I'm local and last time I went past it (a little over a month ago) there were dozens, and I mean DOZENS, of heavy construction vehicles on the premises and working on a Saturday. I'll try to post an update the next time I'm around, but you should know that the foundation was already well in progress back then. And that there's talk of adding even more to the plan.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm local and last time I went past it (a little over a month ago) there were dozens, and I mean DOZENS, of heavy construction vehicles on the premises and working on a Saturday. I'll try to post an update the next time I'm around, but you should know that the foundation was already well in progress back then. And that there's talk of adding even more to the plan.

Of course I was referring to the SolarCity job, not the SC. But I can check on that site too.

wow i was expecting something a lot closer to the I190 or Downtown. I guess this is close to the airport which might be a plus.

You're right, it's not exactly adjacent to the Thruway. But as far as walkable destinations, it's closest to a Barnes and Noble / Starbucks, Best Buy and other retail, plus chain and local dining (including a local Irish megapub and a Italian boutique restaurant). There's also a '70s mall next door with a three-screen art theater. All in all, a better alternative to being stuck with no amenities safely nearby.

I drove past the site a few days ago and saw no evidence of activity. Since we're in the dead of winter I wonder if they would be able to do much with the ground like concrete? We got about a foot of snow yesterday and temps are dropping to around 0 F tonight. Wonder if we'll be waiting for spring?

They just built Utica so its possible to do the construction in the weather. I realize Buffalo gets a lot more snow but that can be pushed aside easily.

Does anyone here believe Buffalo/Pittsburgh will get a Tesla gallery?

Nothing in the near future for Buffalo for the simple reason that our "friends" at the NY Auto Dealers Association tried legal action to have TM close all of its downstate stores. Tesla then entered into a compromise action with them to keep existing locations open, but not to open any new NY stores.