Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 5/12 there are partial enclosure walls around the equipment. The material is raw wood. The remainder of the site is unchanged except for the dumpster is now further off to the side. The Transformer pad remains empty.
20150512_150240.jpg

Attachments

• 20150512_150220.jpg
    20150512_150220.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 952
From a reply to a post I made regarding the Newburgh, NY Supercharger:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by xrayangiodoc viewpost-right.png
Is NYSEG also the electrical utility in Newburgh? Just wondering....

Yep, you guessed it!

Apparently, NYSEG is also the reason why about a dozen new Chademo chargers in the lower NY area are still inoperable too!

So, it's not just us!

Looks like this location is getting some attention from local press. Nothing new, but it does mention the NYSEG delay.

Eight parking spots at the Transit - Main shopping complex in Clarence now have a special designation for a Tesla car charging station. It should be operational with a NYSEG electrical connection in the next two weeks. A source tells us it's a $300,000 dollar investment by the company which is trying to drive up interest in its unique electric vehicles.

Last edited:
Yep, you guessed it!

Apparently, NYSEG is also the reason why about a dozen new Chademo chargers in the lower NY area are still inoperable too!

So, it's not just us!

There's also a new ChaDeMo charger in Ithaca, NY, which has been held up for over a month waiting for NYSEG to hook up power. Everything else is ready, but the station is just sitting there collecting dust because nobody will come out and connect it to the grid.

Since this seems to be a systemic problem all over NY, I wonder if there's any chance we could get the NY State Government to intervene? With so many charging stations being held up for no apparent reason, it really seems like NYSEG is not doing its job. As a government-granted monopoly, the utility companies need to be held accountable for this stuff.

There's also a new ChaDeMo charger in Ithaca, NY, which has been held up for over a month waiting for NYSEG to hook up power. Everything else is ready, but the station is just sitting there collecting dust because nobody will come out and connect it to the grid.

Since this seems to be a systemic problem all over NY, I wonder if there's any chance we could get the NY State Government to intervene? With so many charging stations being held up for no apparent reason, it really seems like NYSEG is not doing its job. As a government-granted monopoly, the utility companies need to be held accountable for this stuff.

I think what we're seeing is NYSEG being NYSEG.

There's certainly nothing sinister going on (like Tesla being singled out for political reasons--a possibility someone had suggested), since other charging stations (CHAdeMOs) that can serve other vehicles are also being delayed. I tried to switch to a day/night meter before I took delivery of my Model S. I called NYSEG to place the order well over a month before I was due to receive the car. I followed up a few weeks later, and then again after I had the car, and finally received it a week or two after receiving the car, based on the final call, in which I referenced the others. My point is, essentially, you can't get water from a stone. What we're seeing with these delays is just Standard Operating Procedure for NYSEG.

Yes that is the upside of being a utility company, which is to say a regulated monopoly. Who else can provide a 480kVA transformer? Nobody, that's who!

Not that it would be feasible, but you have to wonder how many transformers of this grade might be sitting idle on the grounds of mothballed plants in Buffalo/Niagara--the ancestral epicenter of hydropower.

BTW, did anyone else notice the red Model S in Williamsville over the weekend? Bright red brake shoes and California plates. . . .

Last edited:
JPW, even if you had a 480kVA transformer available today(assuming that's what is required), likely the holdup is the local distribution grid upgrade/resources to support the increased power draw at that particular location. It's pointless to install a transformer without the associated increase in delivery capacity and I'm sure the PSC/NYSEG/Iberdrola didn't plan on a factory being built in the parking lot of Applebee's or wherever it is on Transit Rd. That's the type of place where you'd typically use such a big transformer.

If you are looking for a transformer... we've got all sorts of closed factories in my town alone so I agree there are plenty of used hi-capacity transformers out there!

Also.. from a pure project management perspective I find it extremely likely that any sort of business making a $200K+ investment relying on said capability wouldn't pre-arrange a delivery schedule with the utility corresponding to the schedule of their project. Since this is project #400 you'd think that would be part of the process for construction to begin.

Hopefully it gets done soon as I'm only a few weeks away from delivery and would like to drive west without staying overnight somewhere.

JPW, even if you had a 480kVA transformer available today(assuming that's what is required), likely the holdup is the local distribution grid upgrade/resources to support the increased power draw at that particular location. . . .

You're right, D—I was mainly pointing out the irony of any power-related delay in this, of all locales. As far as delivery capacity, you're right. Luckily it seems that this particular stretch of Transit Road has no lack of capacity. I thought they sited the SC here just because there's a hefty transformer right between the SC and the curb. Must not be appropriate for a direct tie-in, though.

Good luck on the delivery!

You're right, D—I was mainly pointing out the irony of any power-related delay in this, of all locales. As far as delivery capacity, you're right. Luckily it seems that this particular stretch of Transit Road has no lack of capacity. I thought they sited the SC here just because there's a hefty transformer right between the SC and the curb. Must not be appropriate for a direct tie-in, though.

It's very rare for local distribution lines to be the limiting factor on power distribution. While 500 kW needs 600-Amp, 3-phase, 480-Volt service, at a typical distribution Voltage of 14,400 Volts, that is only 20 Amps. That is the reason for the transformers to begin with, and why a daisy chain connection to a nearby transformer's higher Voltage side is usually all that is needed.

I haven't taken a power engineering class in over 20 years so I can't effectively argue as to whether it is difficult or easy to connect this particular site to the locally available power infrastructure. I suppose you could tap into something nearby but at some point I'm sure you'd want to analyze the overall draw and usage pattern in conjunction with the other nearby customers to determine what the best method of connection would be.

All I know at this point is:
1) There is some work to be done. Even if it's connecting to something five feet away it might as well be 100 miles away if nobody does it.
2) It seems to not have been done on the schedule that had been promised/committed to at the beginning of said project.

Back to patiently waiting!

I was told that the order for the transformer was put in last FEBRUARY!
Anyway, at the site, the enclosure around the SC hardware has been completed. The blacktop in front of the SC stalls has been replaced, presumably to allow for new SC spot lines to be laid down. Still no Transformer. Interesting that the SC stall closest to the enclosure looks a bit on the tight side. Guess it depends how they draw the lines.

20150518_135143.jpg
20150518_135000.jpg
20150518_134825.jpg
20150518_134751.jpg
20150518_134724.jpg

I was told that the order for the transformer was put in last FEBRUARY!
Anyway, at the site, the enclosure around the SC hardware has been completed. The blacktop in front of the SC stalls has been replaced, presumably to allow for new SC spot lines to be laid down. Still no Transformer. Interesting that the SC stall closest to the enclosure looks a bit on the tight side. Guess it depends how they draw the lines.

Not tight at all, imagine the sign as the center of the parking spot rather than the SC enclosure.