Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buffeting/Booming issue survey

What helped to fix booming/buffeting noise in Model Y

• Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket, kept stock rubber stoppers

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket and custom solid stoppers

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Only adjusted the stock rubber stoppers with "envelope test"

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Only installed custom solid stoppers

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I don't hear any booming/buffeting in my car, it's quiet and awesome

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • Nothing helped, no matter what I tried

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.

There are multiple threads on this forum discussing the issue with "booming", "low-frequency noise", and "buffeting" kind of issue. As was identified, the trunk lid probably resonates with a low-frequency noise when driving on a bumpy roads. There were multiple solutions proposed how to fix this, such as using custom stoppers and vinyl pipe installation into a gasket. But also, looks like some people just naturally don't hear this or don't have the issue.

With this post, I wanted to aggregate some overall information among Model Y owners, just to understand how wide is the problem and how effective the proposed solutions to fix the issue. Because I have this issue and thinking about the most optimal approach to fix it if there is a good likelihood of success.

Here are the other threads I am referring to:

Reactions: voom500
What helped the most for me with booming was adding butyl and foam above the wheel wells. Note that buffeting and booming are two different problems that can have two different solutions. I fixed my buffeting right away by adjusting the hatch stops so the hatch sealed correctly.

Buffeting is the high pitched sound of wind flapping and ear pressure pain, as when you are taking off in an aircraft or diving in a pool. It occurs all the time when the car is in motion at some speed. It is caused by the car's cabin not being sealed. Usually the break in the seal is around the hatch. You can experience buffeting any time you want if you roll down a window while going fast.

Booming is a low pitched sound like the pounding of a bass drum. It occurs at any speed and only when the car is driving over textured pavement or bumps in the road. It is caused by parts of the car body vibrating at a low frequency. Some of the parts are the hatch and the body around the wheel wells.

Buffeting is the high pitched sound of wind flapping and ear pressure pain, as when you are taking off in an aircraft or diving in a pool. It occurs all the time when the car is in motion at some speed. It is caused by the car's cabin not being sealed. Usually the break in the seal is around the hatch. You can experience buffeting any time you want if you roll down a window while going fast.

Booming is a low pitched sound like the pounding of a bass drum. It occurs at any speed and only when the car is driving over textured pavement or bumps in the road. It is caused by parts of the car body vibrating at a low frequency. Some of the parts are the hatch and the body around the wheel wells.
I see.. thanks for clarification.

In this case, I have only "booming" which is soooo annoying.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. The buffeting effect seems to be gone after I properly adjusted the bumpers. But the booming effect is still there as of now and it's the worst when hitting road cracks or bumps. BTW, is your booming issue completely gone after the vinyl tubing and butyl?

It's not completely gone. Most of the time it doesn't bother me anymore. But on textured pavement or big bumps, I still notice it. I didn't put butyl under the existing sound blankets on the wheel wells, which is apparently an important spot. I also suspect that my hatch is slightly out of alignment, which may mean it's moving a little bit, especially when I'm driving on textured pavement. I can't physically move the hatch by pushing on it with my body weight, but that doesn't mean anything, because I don't weigh 4,000 pounds (yet).

It's not completely gone. Most of the time it doesn't bother me anymore. But on textured pavement or big bumps, I still notice it. I didn't put butyl under the existing sound blankets on the wheel wells, which is apparently an important spot. I also suspect that my hatch is slightly out of alignment, which may mean it's moving a little bit, especially when I'm driving on textured pavement. I can't physically move the hatch by pushing on it with my body weight, but that doesn't mean anything, because I don't weigh 4,000 pounds (yet).
I put butyl under the "blankets". It didn't help.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I adjusted the stoppers and it eliminated 80% of what it was before the adjustment. I don't really notice it much anymore unless I deliberately think about it and then I can sometimes still fell a bit of the pressure feeling at highway speeds.

Before my adjustment I'd describe what I was experiencing as a pressurized feeling. Similar to one might get with some over the ear noise-cancelling headphones. It was never a huge deal to me.

I certainly noticed that the pressure was worse when the rear seats were folded down.

I'd say it depends on how much you like the car outside of the booming. If you like it a lot, watch ilovecoffee's video and implement fixes. If you're still unhappy after that, then get rid of it. The key is decisive action one way or the other. If you waffle, you will wallow in it.

I’m shocked at these responses. This is a brand new car and I’m not going to drive everywhere with the radio on just to cancel the booming. Tesla has no support fix?

I’m shocked at these responses. This is a brand new car and I’m not going to drive everywhere with the radio on just to cancel the booming. Tesla has no support fix?
Unfortunately no. Your hatch might be out of alignment but only service center or body shop can confirm that. It’s an issue I’ve lived with for a while now. The 3 doesn’t have that issue

This is just terrible. I switched to a Y from a 3 and was utterly shocked that this car would have issues like this. Totally unacceptable.
It is not uncommon thing on many brands with rear hatch. But still we know it can be eliminated so it would be nice if Tesla had better QC or at least if the SC had a way to diagnose and fix it.

I will say in my case I never had any noise or booms over bumps. It was just the ear pressure feeling at higher speeds...sort of like NC headphones can give you. I would guess some people aren't affected by the pressure and others are due to anatomy, sinuses, ear canals etc.

I just took delivery of MY on March 7 2023 and have had ear problems after two 30 minutes drives. The booming sounds like a subwoofer going off at both low and high speeds. I just reported it for servicing. Did not expect of such an issue until I looked this up today.