Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUG: 2022.4.5.3 doesn't remember USB source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Search for USB here and you’ll find plenty of threads about this issue. The problem is that the car doesn’t immediately detect the USB when you get in, and when it finally does you have to start playback manually. I’ve experienced this issue for a long time, and so have many others here.

Search for USB here and you’ll find plenty of threads about this issue. The problem is that the car doesn’t immediately detect the USB when you get in, and when it finally does you have to start playback manually. I’ve experienced this issue for a long time, and so have many others here.
I'm well aware of the prior problem, and also the workarounds for the prior problem. They were:
1) Switch on climate before going to the car
2) If you forget to do #1 and the music doesn't start playing, get out of the car, see the screen go black, then get back in.

After 4.5, both of these workarounds are broken.

Reactions: frankusb
This is indeed a new bug and a regression over the past broken behavior. Before it sometimes worked and had work arounds for when it didn't. Now there are no work arounds. I suspect this is an intentional change to make it less broken, but with less functionality.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
As an old geezer, I have digitized some 1,000 favorite songs from albums I have bought over a lifetime.

I've also been driving for over 60 years, and in every car I ever drove, the radio/cassette/CD/SSD would always resume to where it was when last used.

But my Y can't remember diddly-squat about USB. OK, occasionally, when I run a quick errand, it resumes when I get back in. I don't understand how Tesla can keep track of all user audio preferences, but near zip for "USB" settings for songs, albums, artist or genres. Streamed music can set filters, but all play a boatload of songs before I recognize any of them. Come on Tesla, how hard is it to store ALL audio settings, and resume every time? At least you enabled me to lock a "USB" button on my screen. Whoopee.

I just stumbled across this thread in the Model Y forum where @SkyDog made this discovery:

But I just found out that if I switch back to USB with the voice command "USB", it does pick up exactly where I left off before, so that makes me happy. The trick is to use the voice command, not the touchscreen.
I haven't tested it myself yet, but I have high hopes

ETA: Yep. this works. It doesn't pull up the right display info (you would still need to re-navigate to the spot), but at least it works for the short-term.

Still a bastardized approach though: Tesla has really screwed this one up badly.

Last edited:
Interesting. So if I get in the car which has just woken from deep sleep, wait for the USB interface to come up (or not?) and just say 'USB' , it will resume?

Will try, but skeptical...
I found out this "USB" command a couple of weeks ago. At first it seemed to work all of the time. Now I'd say it works most of the time, but not always.

I typically switch media sources with the commands "USB", "radio", or "Spotify", and each one tends to put me back where I left off before. Most of the time, but not always. For me, it does work better than using the touchscreen to switch sources.

Interesting. So if I get in the car which has just woken from deep sleep, wait for the USB interface to come up (or not?) and just say 'USB' , it will resume?

Will try, but skeptical...
I answer your question for certain as I still wake up my car prior to going out to it (almost always to turn on environment, but partly out of habit), but so far (two days), every time I have used the "USB" voice command it has always picked up where I left off. YMMV