Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUG: Autopilot engaging the HDMI interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have 2015 Model S with AP1.

I have installed the HDMI interface kit by BeatSonic USA that is being engaged by long pressing the steering wheel menu button.

I have found out a strange bug that engaging the HDMI interface every time i'm engaging the AutoPilot (by double pull the stalk towards me).

More over, my car got the eMMC MCU1 recall, and my daughter board has been replaced to Intel 64GB.

After the recall it got even worst and now every time i'm engaging the AutoPilot the MCU totally crash and reboots and the HDMI interface kit become totally unussable.

Is anyone else is experiencing this bug?

@CravingMender9 i know you have the same problem. Did you figured it out?

Unfortunately no - it still has the same problem. After a point it became too much hassle trying to deal with it. I need to back into my driveway and many other places. I'll always get an error camera unavailable at first, till I just start reversing (when it'll show up again). Now I just keep the OBD plug disconnected and only connect it when I need to use the interface, e.g. to watch Netflix while supercharging. Huge difference in camera performance. I'm thinking of getting an OBD switch (https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Female-Diagnostic-Extension-battery/dp/B00UR5XBMW) to make it even more easier.

I also noticed that the colors / contrast is horrible in darker scenes when using HDMI. Do you have the same problem as well? It might be that my screen is older version or something, but not sure. Don't have anyone else to compare with.

@BearBu I had tried pinging you few months back but I think you were not reachable. Are you back? Can you help us troubleshoot / fix this please?

Thanks

Hi,

I have 2015 Model S with AP1.

I have installed the HDMI interface kit by BeatSonic USA that is being engaged by long pressing the steering wheel menu button.

I have found out a strange bug that engaging the HDMI interface every time i'm engaging the AutoPilot (by double pull the stalk towards me).

More over, my car got the eMMC MCU1 recall, and my daughter board has been replaced to Intel 64GB.

After the recall it got even worst and now every time i'm engaging the AutoPilot the MCU totally crash and reboots and the HDMI interface kit become totally unussable.

Is anyone else is experiencing this bug?

Also - I don't think it has anything to do with MCU <-> HDMI kit. I had this issue with both my original eMMC and the new one. The kit doesn't use your MCU processing in any way. It just reads the CAN bus input for the button / stalk pull signal and switches the camera input. It seems that the MCU reboot problem is something with the MCU itself. Try disconnecting the interface's OBD plug and see if you face the same MCU / autopilot issue?

Reactions: rickyjb
I got a feeling they are selling the same one that the company in hong kong created. Its the same one I installed.

Your odb2 receiver has to be the culprit. Let me know if you end up fixing this. I have never had this issue

Also did you wire it properly?
I didnt the first time so I had to go back and fix it. The part that interfaces with the screen has to go in AFTER it leaves the autopilot computer not before it enters it. Does that make sense? I dont think I wrote it well

What it means is the autopilot computer always gets the rear camera feed regardless if you have switched to the hdmi input or not because the device is intercepting the video feed after it leaves the autopilot computer

Maybe it's a confusion of existing CAN signals?

The CANBUS is a system where multiple devices can be connected, send signals and listen. It's like standing in a hallway and saying "Jim" and then asking "Jim" for something or to do something.

The benefit is that you can have a single set of wires everything is plugged into, and basically parse it for information, or to give commands to attached devices.

CAN Bus Explained - A Simple Intro (2021)

The problem is that Tesla may suddenly decide that they want to use a specific identifier that your device thought wasn't reserved nor in use.

In 2020, the single tap of the autopilot is 01-0001-ON but now in 2021 a double-tap now is translated as 01-0010-ON instead of 01-0001-ON + 01-0001-ON. And your other CAN attached device is waiting for 01-0010-ON to reply with 01-0010-OK which crashes something like the ECU.

I have exactly the same problem. Engaging Auto pilot causes strange behavior. Sometimes it trigges the HDMI interface, something ist causes the center screen to turn black for may be 20 seconds.
So i installed a power switch to cut off the power to the HDMI interface.
My car is a P85 2014 with AP1, und my interface ist from bearbu, i found this problem since last year, and tried to contact bearbu. Without success....

@Sethach few questions:
1. When your MCU goes blank, do you also see "Passenger Airbag OFF/ON" alert?
2. Did you had your MCU Daughter Board replaced and eMMC upgrade from 8GB to 64GB?
3. Do you have version 2020.4.12 (or newer) installed?
1. No, when it went dark it was as as switched off. With the difference, that when it came back it has not been a reboot.
2. The MCU was replaced by Tesla in Jan 2020, and I assume it was a 8GB, because at that time Tesls replaced the whole MCU
3. I have had various versions, the car made every update when it was available.

i have now upgraded to MCU 2, and I have not tested it again. Usually I have the HDMI interface switched off