TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bug: FLAC metadata not showing up in Folder view

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Andrew, May 12, 2013.

1. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

I've started ripping my CDs to FLAC, thanks to the great conversations at TMC about FLAC and better audio quality (thanks, all!). However, I had been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why the metadata (artist, album, track number) wasn't showing up on either screen. Both Foobar2000 and Exact Audio Copy seemed to be tagging the tracks properly.

We're on v4.4 (1.3.11). I have no idea if this was a problem for earlier versions.

Turns out the issue is only when browsing by Folder: It shows the folder and filename fine, but doesn't display any metadata (nor does it show the album artwork). However, when browsing by artist, album, etc., it works great.

I'll email ownership to be sure they're aware of it, but wanted to mention it here in case anyone else has also been going in circles by this little bug.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yep, this has been a problem since the beginning.

3. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Ah, ok, thanks Todd. I searched the forums and sifted through pages of discussions on audio tracks and FLAC and ripping, but didn't come up with anything about this... :)

4. vcor

vcor Member

I just checked and the few mp3s I have seem to be identical under folder view as do all my flac files (none show album art in the browse mode), so I don't think it's anything to do with the format, but just the folder view in general.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Some do and some don't (show the artwork) but I don't find it any different in browse mode than I do in any other mode. Of course, often the artwork it does show isn't correct, and some tracks don't show at all. Sometimes moving the files around on the thumb drive helps and sometimes it doesn't.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Basically, the media app needs work. i'm sure they're aware. I bet when 5.0 comes it'll be completely revamped and far more functional.

7. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Nice job Tomas. I hope the Developers get word of that and fix the Media App.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Oh, they know about it. But the problem as described is different than the problem I'm experiencing, so I've put in a case for what I'm seeing as well.