Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug guts remained on car for week. Does this look like permanent damage to clear coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I think the clear coat in that part is slightly damaged... cleaning with bug/tar remover and a microfiber mitt did nothing for the stuff in the picture (though it did wonders for the bugs that were still on the paint). Even after pre-soaking in a self-service car wash, hand washing couldn't remove the bugs that were deep in the bumper

I guess I've done enough damage for now, I know to remove those asap. Still working on getting the two buckets with dirt traps. Since I live in an apartment, my strategy will be to go to a self-service car wash to pre-soak, then move over and use the two-bucket method with bug and tar remover to wipe off the bugs by hand. Then, return to the self-service car wash, pre-soak, and high-pressure wash from several feet away to remove the bugs that couldn't be removed by hand

so I think the clear coat in that part is slightly damaged... cleaning with bug/tar remover and a microfiber mitt did nothing for the stuff in the picture (though it did wonders for the bugs that were still on the paint). Even after pre-soaking in a self-service car wash, hand washing couldn't remove the bugs that were deep in the bumper

I guess I've done enough damage for now, I know to remove those asap. Still working on getting the two buckets with dirt traps. Since I live in an apartment, my strategy will be to go to a self-service car wash to pre-soak, then move over and use the two-bucket method with bug and tar remover to wipe off the bugs by hand. Then, return to the self-service car wash, pre-soak, and high-pressure wash from several feet away to remove the bugs that couldn't be removed by hand

One of the advantages of the PPF that I put on is the ability to spray on a detailer and wipe away the bugs without fear of scratching the paint. Be careful of removing the bugs as wiping any type of cloth/microfiber on a dirty car will scratch the paint.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
You really don't need any special products to remove caked on bug splatter. The key is softening it with soapy water. Cover the spots with a soapy wet rag and let it sit for an hour or so. The longer it has contact with the soapy rag, the softer the bug goop gets. Just do this in the shade and occasionally spray more soapy water on the rags to keep them moist. I find this way is much safer in preventing scratches.

Reactions: fredjan
if you care about keeping your car clean, shiny and ease of maintenance. I highly recommend self apply consumer grade ceramic coating. I do it to all of my cars. It lasts about 1 year. These bug splat, bird drop or other stuff come right off with water spray during car wash. Car takes a lot longer to get dirty. I would recommend using cQuartz UK3.0 for your first attempt. Very forgiving in terms of flash time. Recently applied Adams advanced Graphene ceramic coating. Supposedly last longer. Will see longer term effect. The coating itself takes about 1 hour to apply. If you car is fairly new, you don't even need paint correction.