Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bug in scheduled charging (across several versions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrorob

stealth performance M3
Aug 27, 2014
oakland, ca
i happen to be on 2020.20.12 but this problem was at least present in the prior version as well.

for some solar debugging experiments i had to set my 2019 M3 to start charging around sunrise. after that was all finished, i turned off the schedule in the car UI. prior to that i had no schedule set at all in the car and was relying on my chargepoint to maintain a schedule.

despite turning off the schedule in the car, i found that the car failed to start charging twice when my chargepoint home schedule kicked in at 11PM.

yesterday i went into the car UI again and noticed that even though the schedule was turned off there was a small note on the main charging screen saying that the car would start charging at 6AM. despite going back in to the UI and toggling schedule vs. no schedule, that note still persisted. in the end i had to go to the "scheduled departure" page and change the time in there, then back to the charge schedule page and set it to 11PM before the 6AM note changed to 11PM. it successfully started charging @ 11PM last night.

i don't yet know what will happen if i turn off the schedule in the car again.

tl;dr it seems like the car wants to hold onto stale charging schedules even when they have been turned off.

The charging schedules are location based. You may have run into a situation where the car thought it was too far away from the location that you disabled the charging schedule, so it left it enabled. Not really sure what happened for you, but that's my guess as to what's going on.

Basically, disable the charging schedule again and see if it "sticks" this time.

well it stuck after i went in to the "scheduled departure" page and changed some stuff, then went back and set it to "no schedule". that's why i think it was stale data. just toggling modes didn't help - i had to change something in the scheduled departure screen.

i know there was a GPS accuracy update in the latest SW but this was happening before then.

anyway it is working now but if it happened to anyone else i thought they might be interested in how to fix it.