Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug report - Driver window tries to go up when push brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you think it's related to the new behavior of the windows? They apparently don't do up all the way when shutting the door (to help open and close in places where it gets freezing cold).. Maybe the windows then go up the last cm or two when you start driving?

Windows go up already when I close the door.. then it tries going up again after the brakes. Outside is 4 C so it's not cold.

Happens only when I get into the car. If I park again then go to drive it doesn't do that.

That’s not a bug but a design. When you close the door, it checks if anyone is in the car. If not, it rolls it down a bit so there isn’t full seal so the door doesn’t freeze. When you get back in the car, and push the brakes, it realizes someone is in the car so it rolls it back up fully.

Something I dont get about this new update is what changing the window position is going to do about potentially freezing on the gasket. The gasket still needs to make a seal, so still potential for the window to freeze on it. Actually more, since with it partially down there is more potential for snow/moisture on the lip of the seal to freeze to the window back side. Unless I'm missing something, I must be because others think this will actually help with window freezing. Thankfully I havent experienced it yet so dont have first hand knowledge to draw on.

Something I dont get about this new update is what changing the window position is going to do about potentially freezing on the gasket. The gasket still needs to make a seal, so still potential for the window to freeze on it. Actually more, since with it partially down there is more potential for snow/moisture on the lip of the seal to freeze to the window back side. Unless I'm missing something, I must be because others think this will actually help with window freezing. Thankfully I havent experienced it yet so dont have first hand knowledge to draw on.

These "fixes" definitely feel rushed and not well thought out.

Reactions: dusdev
Is that a bug or just a side effect of the window being lowered during parking?
These "fixes" definitely feel rushed and not well thought out.

I'm surprised that they took the nuclear option of adjusting the window position. I thought it would be better to attempt to redirect the hot air flow to the window during prewarm. I haven't had the issue since I generally park indoors. I'm now a bit worried about what will happen in heavy rain/freezing rain.

I wonder if they actually tested this fix?

Is that a bug or just a side effect of the window being lowered during parking?

I'm surprised that they took the nuclear option of adjusting the window position. I thought it would be better to attempt to redirect the hot air flow to the window during prewarm. I haven't had the issue since I generally park indoors. I'm now a bit worried about what will happen in heavy rain/freezing rain.

I wonder if they actually tested this fix?
I'm guessing they rushed something out to door to help people in cold/winter situations right now. How much testing they actually did is anyone's guess.

I mean, even during the development stages of the car they didn't come across any of these freezing issues? That seems weird to me.

Reactions: 03DSG
As a side note - this situation reminds me of voluntary recall with my Acura many years ago. They identified a significant design flaw with their 6-speed auto transmission where the gearbox would overheat and fail. Engineering designed a fix where they tapped into a nearby coolant line to keep the box cooler. The service people implemented the fix (apparently it took them a few hours). Acura did the right thing with building a hardware fix and it was no cost to me (even after the drive train warranty had expired).

I think Tesla needs to consider a hardware fix for this problem. I see a few of options:
- install a small heating wire along the area where the window contacts to directly apply heat to melt any ice buildup
- add a module to direct heated air at the immediate problem areas - including the window seals and charge port lock
- find better materials for the gasket seal that prevents ice sticking
- consider a better actuator or sensor that can detect a frozen window so the motor is not damaged - something can be shown on the screen when the car detects this bad/frozen window state

In addition, Tesla should immediately work on the following software features:
- pre-heating schedule (shouldn't have to use a third party app for this)
- ability to vibrate the window from the mobile app to try and loosen ice
- ability to unlatch the door from the mobile app in case the door handle is frozen in place

That’s not a bug but a design. When you close the door, it checks if anyone is in the car. If not, it rolls it down a bit so there isn’t full seal so the door doesn’t freeze. When you get back in the car, and push the brakes, it realizes someone is in the car so it rolls it back up fully.
If not disputing your post. It just got me thinking. If it doesn't seal fully, then doesn't that allow snow or water to build in between the window and seal anyway and potentially cause a worse sticking issue or maybe even let moisture in the car?

If not disputing your post. It just got me thinking. If it doesn't seal fully, then doesn't that allow snow or water to build in between the window and seal anyway and potentially cause a worse sticking issue or maybe even let moisture in the car?
Thats exactly the concern I expressed a few post up from yours. Something doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Well, I was an engineer from California, and when I designed equipment, I did it to work all over the world and never had issues ore recalls in 40 years of work. I wouldn't draw any conclusion about where the engineers are from. :)
It was a joke, because I hear everyone on reddit and forums complain how Tesla’s suck in cold weather because it’s made in California. I believe it doesn’t matter where it’s made.

Reactions: Silicon Desert