Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug Report Voice Command..... Useless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Click Baity title on purpose... I've been recommending people do this on Reddit for things like the dead backup camera issue and other issues where a car snapshot would be of use, and someone mentioned today that 'they have been told several times by techs that the reports made by 'bug report' aren't downloaded except at a service center visit'.

Literally, WTF. That makes it totally useless, especially if you only go in for annual visits and the like.

I had assumed that the reports went semi-immediately to the mothership so issues could be analyzed in semi-real time. Getting them consolidate/uploaded at service visits seems to remove their usefulness totally. Perhaps this functionality wasn't made for end-users at all but testers where a car would be connected directly more often?

Anyone confirm/deny/verify?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: deonb
Since this feature was added, I've submitted many bug reports - and can't recall getting any feedback from Tesla acknowledging the bug report - or that most of the problems have ever been addressed.

What would help Tesla considerably would be to have an online system for bug reporting, where customers could determine if the bug has already been reported, rather than owners continuing to submit multiple bug reports on the same problem.

That would help, definitely. I just wish we knew what way we could actually help contribute car data for bugs. We were told ‘bug report’ was excellent because of the inclusion of car data automatically. Well, if it gets there months later, it’s not very useful!

If nothing else, it has a potential placebo effect. So that's a use.

I use this feature differently than most.

It makes me feel like I've offloaded something from my mind, whatever was bugging me... I report all kinds of things that bug me that have nothing to do with the car... and I feel great!!

Just listens every time, takes it all in. Infinite patience. Never talks back. Perfect AI for an in-car therapist. Best feature of the car - everyone should try it!

If anybody does read these things at the mothership, I hope it puts some fun in their day. So it could be good for them too!

Sigh.... Seems like it *might* work. :D

I wasn't looking for a response to an issue, per se, but to add data to a problem, like an overpass that was causing an AP problem, or more data for the backup camera issue, etc.

But the real issue is: does it get transmitted live or wait for a visit? That still renders it pretty useless if it waits to be downloaded....

So, to be clear, it's not fully deprecated, it's still in the system. When you issue a bug report it takes a snapshot of the IC, CID and a few other bits, and stores them in the Tesla home directory, so they can be pulled. However, they don't have to be pulled by the SC, the can pull those bug reports remotely "IF" they want to.

Heck, they can pull any logs off the car "IF" they want to.

Just, they don't use it. Oh, and fun piece, those "reports" never get deleted, so any report you ever done is stored in the Tesla home directory with all the various bits for the report. Kinda funny to listen to your voice explaining how bad AP2 is doing. Hmmms, perhaps I should make a youtube video of my old bug reports, that might be quite humorous.

So, it's not live and never goes away...

If it's not reported automatically and you need to notify them (on the phone or otherwise, like at the SC) to retrieve the data, I would call that fairly useless.

I can see how they could be flooded with data for a real live reporting system, but we do need a way to report overpasses that AP isn't playing nice with and other bugs that are really bugs. Not sure what the best answer here is!

Since we're all beta users, Tesla should automatically give every driver access to a developer site to report bugs. And we'd be able to see things like a history of release notes, planned features for next version, ... you know, be part of the dev process.

Reactions: Missile Toad
It’s to much, there is far to much wrong, they don’t need any help finding more things wrong, maybe in a few years they’ll need to hear from end users about what’s still broken.
As I had said, the point was to report things like an overpass that AP was responding incorrectly to. How would you suggest we report that? Bug report was the perfect method if it actually worked. Other bugs could also have been reported this way if anyone was analyzing the data.

Calling the support line usually means an hour on hold. That’s the actually useless method, efficiency-wise. I’ll do that only when I’m feeling really motivated (like, maybe to see WTF my Homelink always opens the door but never closes it. :D ).

As I had said, the point was to report things like an overpass that AP was responding incorrectly to. How would you suggest we report that? Bug report was the perfect method if it actually worked. Other bugs could also have been reported this way if anyone was analyzing the data.

Calling the support line usually means an hour on hold. That’s the actually useless method, efficiency-wise. I’ll do that only when I’m feeling really motivated (like, maybe to see WTF my Homelink always opens the door but never closes it. :D ).

Just was told about this the other day by a Tesla rep helping me with the phone key issue. I felt very special that he told me about the bug report and how to activate it. I felt like I was just admitted to a secret society without any physical initiation. But now sadden by the other posts that it is somewhat useless.