TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bug wash windshield wiper fluid isn't okay?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lunares, May 31, 2019.

1. Lunares

Lunares Member

Anybody know the reason on why the manual says not to use windshield wiper fluid with bug wash? I get a ton of the suckers here, was hoping to use that like I did on my old car

• Informative x 1
  2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Certain brands of washer fluid ( with bug wash ) is very strong. Its strong enough to stain the car's clear coat.

• Disagree x 1
  3. Lunares

Lunares Member

Don't really get the fluid on the paint though right?

Also I have clear bra + ceramic coat

4. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Once you spray it on the windshield everything from.there back can get streaked with it.

• Like x 1
  5. groovidad

groovidad Living the Dream!

I also read that wiper fluid with the additives can casue the wipers to "chatter" across the windshield and affect their performance.

6. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

The caution explains why:

Caution: Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises

I use RainX fluid and don't get any of these issues. I can imagine is Tesla not wanting to endorse any company's specific fluid.

7. MountainJedi

MountainJedi Member

Yep, used something like this in a Jeep Wrangler years ago and had streaks running down the doors from where it was pushed off the windshield. Couldn't get rid of it without redoing the clear coat. Haven't used anything other than regular fluid since.