Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug with new One-pedal driving mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve been using the new one pedal driver for the past week. I discovered a bug today. I was coming down a parking lot ramp (steep decline) and stopped at the bottom of the ramp due to traffic (using auto hold). When I took my foot off the brake pedal and started to feather the go pedal (just lightly as traffic was moving slowly) and then subsequently took my foot off the go pedal again, the car actually went in reverse UP the ramp!!! Fortunately I was paying attention. I tried the same steps again and the same thing happened.

I suspect the issue is with steep decline and coming off auto hold and the motor applying reverse power to attempt to keep the car from rolling.

anyone had this or can reproduce it?

where do you file bug reports for Tesla?

I find it on my driveway, only the opposite. If I'm reversing down the drive, bring the car to a stop near the bottom, it will "roll" back up the hill forwards (despite R selected). I've been trying to work out the circumstance but I think so far it appears to be when the car is holding on the motor, and the friction brake isn't applied (no hold icon showing on the display).

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Acvr5 and 127.0.0.0
You're not alone. Experienced the exact same thing this evening. Driving out of the work parking lot over a small decline dipping down from the pavement to the road. Car started reversing after it had stopped. I hit the brakes, edged forward once more and I was back in reverse!

If you were using one pedal why did you even need to put your foot on the brake? I have a steep incline here and use it all the time and have never had the issue... I simply come to a stop with the accelerator and it goes in to auto-hold. I then apply accelerator to move and it comes off auto-hold and moves forward as expected.

When I took my foot off the brake pedal and started to feather the go pedal (just lightly as traffic was moving slowly) and then subsequently took my foot off the go pedal again, the car actually went in reverse UP the ramp!!!

For those who have experienced this issue (I have not and I back down my sloped driveway daily, pausing partway to close the garage door) could you please clarify something for me; does the car go “forward” a distance of inches or feet before it stops on its own, or are you saying that the car continues to go forward until you press on the brake pedal to stop it? Thank you.
and then subsequently took my foot off the go pedal again, the car actually went in reverse UP the ramp!

it will "roll" back up the hill forwards (despite R selected)

edged forward once more and I was back in reverse!

and when I eased off the accelerator the car moved forwards.

For those who have experienced this issue (I have not and I back down my sloped driveway daily, pausing partway to close the garage door) could you please clarify something for me; does the car go “forward” a distance of inches or feet before it stops on its own, or are you saying that the car continues to go forward until you press on the brake pedal to stop it? Thank you.

It's hard for me to say. I park 2 feet or less away from my garage door, so I wasn't going to wait for it to get any closer to find out. It seemed like it shifted into forward instead of reverse, but I pressed the brake quite quickly.

I had a similar one that made horrible sounds. I was on a incline and was in reverse I believe (this was last week so forget exact details). I then hit the accelerator to move and nothing happens. Hit it harder and you hear the motor whine and try to break free of the breaks. Motor broke free and wheel spun but then you heard, and felt, the brakes pulsating (like ABS) to stop the car and the whole car violently started surging (sounded and felt similar to stalling a manual).

I then tried to change gears and it wouldn't. Waited a few seconds and everything was fine.

Very weird and only seen it once so far.

Last edited:
I think this was reported on Tesla forums within the first few days and folks suspected was the reason for the temporary hold.

I was formerly a Creeper, tried it first day, didn't like it, then decided to try it again and started to like it. Basically I can "One Pedal" park with throttle. But it felt safer one pedal parking with the Brake on Creep.

Given that this unpredictable reverse thing isn't quite sorted out yet, maybe I'll Hold on Hold and Reverse back to Creep until a fix Roll's around ;)

Glad I’m not the only one then. Will try to reproduce and video or report it. My guess is the one-pedal mode is monitoring wheel rotation to hold at 0-mph when you come off the auto-hold. If you’re on an incline (down in my case, up in others reported here) the car will naturally move and the motors kick in opposite direction to hold the car. I didn’t let it go very far but my guess would be either the wheel rotation is being monitored as MPH (that would be bad!) or by actual rotation (ABS sensor?) and once it would go far enough to detect motion it would stop again.

I’m still a fan of one-pedal mode so far and it doesn’t take off at full acceleration so no need to panic, just be aware.